Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Looking to find a German Ancestor (I think!)

I have premium on Ancestry but never needed more as most of my family are Irish/Scottish but I have come across an ancestor who I suspect may be German. She was married on Isle of Man then moved to Liverpool. I have her marriage on the Island then can find her on 1851, 1861, 1871 and 1881 UK censuses but cannot find her birth. The 51 census shows her to be born on IOM, 61 showed her to be born in Germany, 71 Ireland and 81 again as German. Why is nothing easy . Mary Ann Moss born 1823 and married James Looney on IOM on 1 Jan 1842. She was widowed in 1870's and re-married a man called Jacob (surname) and was widowed again 2 years later so the 1881 has her as Mary Ann Jacob. Where did she come from? My family always talked about a German ancestor called Loon, so I am tempted to think she was actually born in Germany. On her 2nd marriage she states her Father was George Moss but cannot find him either. Any help would be gratefully received.

Just for some basic background on Mary Ann Moss' second marriage. From Lancashire OPC. Mary gives her age as 50 so born c 1829.

Marriage: 14 Apr 1879 All Saints, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
    John Jacobs - 46, Rigger, Widower, 107 Burlington Street
    Mary Ann Looney - (X), 50, Widow, 107 Burlington Street
    Groom's Father: John Jacobs, Deceased, Ship Builder
    Bride's Father: George Moss, Deceased, Farmer
    Witness: August Baer; Margaret Baer, (X)
    Married by Banns by: Frank B. Tyrer M. A. Vicar
    Register: Marriages 1876 - 1882, Page 122, Entry 243
    Source: LDS Film 1655766

What is the occupation of George Moss on Mary Ann's first marriage to James Looney?

August Baer was born Germany c1834 and married Margaret Nicholas in Liverpool 1875 but using the first name John. Their marriage on Lancs OPC

Marriage: 15 Mar 1875 All Saints, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
    John August Baer - 42, Labourer, Widower, 2 Court, 8 House, Nash Grove
    Margaret Nicholas - 31, Widow, 2 Court, 6 House, Horatio Street
    Groom's Father: John F. Baer, Labourer
    Bride's Father: George Mouse, Labourer
    Witness: Peter Nicholson; Catherine Orb
    Married by Banns by: G. H. Spooner Curate
    Register: Marriages 1868 - 1876, Page 191, Entry 382
    Source: LDS Film 1655766

Could the bride's father's surname actually meant to be Moss or alternatively Moss and Mouse corruptions of a German surname? Is Margaret Nicholas a sister of Mary Ann? If so may help us find Mary Ann's origins. On the 1861/1871/1881 censuses Margaret is born Germany c1832

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

On the 1881 census, Mary Ann is entered as born Hessen-Darmstadt, Germany, I would think that as she's named a place in Germany, Germany is where she was born.

Ancestry has this database but nothing jumped out at me, there's Anna Maria's, no Maria Anna's. "All Hesse, Hesse-Kassel, Hess Darmstadt, Hess-Marburg, Hess-Reinfels, Rhineland, and Waldeck, Germany, Lutheran Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1661-1957"

Anna Maria Maus, bap. 2. Apr 1823, Londorf, Hessen (Hesse), Deutschland. Parents: Johann Georg Maus and Frau Elisabetha Maus

Anna Maria Meuss, 28 Mar 1824. Michelstadt, Hessen, parents: Johannes Meuss and Anna Maria Meuss

I've not explored this page, so don't know how useful it may be.

https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en...ealogy_Records
    Alma

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Mary Ann Moss

Quote Originally Posted by sharron shaw View Post
    I have premium on Ancestry but never needed more as most of my family are Irish/Scottish but I have come across an ancestor who I suspect may be German. She was married on Isle of Man then moved to Liverpool. I have her marriage on the Island then can find her on 1851, 1861, 1871 and 1881 UK censuses but cannot find her birth. The 51 census shows her to be born on IOM, 61 showed her to be born in Germany, 71 Ireland and 81 again as German. Why is nothing easy . Mary Ann Moss born 1823 and married James Looney on IOM on 1 Jan 1842. She was widowed in 1870's and re-married a man called Jacob (surname) and was widowed again 2 years later so the 1881 has her as Mary Ann Jacob. Where did she come from? My family always talked about a German ancestor called Loon, so I am tempted to think she was actually born in Germany. On her 2nd marriage she states her Father was George Moss but cannot find him either. Any help would be gratefully received.
    Hi, I too have an ancestor Mary Ann Moss or Marrs who’s father (my gt, gt, gt grandfather was George Moss/Marrs) from Herse, Dermstad, Germany. Mary Ann Married James Looney in the Isle of Man, she had a sister Christiana who also married in the Isle of Man to James Quinney (or Cunyer) on 13 September 1840 and had a son around 1842, she later went on to Marry after The death of John, her first husband, Herman Bierman on July 25th 1847 in St Peters, Liverpool, Christiana and Herman were my gt, gt, grandparents, however, I am having difficulty tracing their roots in Germany
    Last edited by Valkenwright; 15-08-2021 at 1:38 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi, I am still looking for Herman's father David as stated on his marriage licence when he married Christiana and I am also searching for christian's father, George Moss or Marrs or Maus, have you had any joy with this thread?

It's possible that Mary Ann (or variations) was German born, and the the name was anglicized in England. Alternatively, Brits working abroad (eg merchants, military, diplomats) often took their wives with and continued family life abroad.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Mary Ann and Christiana are from Darmstad, Germany and Herman, Christiana's Husband was from Germany /Prussia. I am sure that their names were anglicised which makes it more difficult, I think to trace them

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    [/B]
    Anna Maria Maus, bap. 2. Apr 1823, Londorf, Hessen (Hesse), Deutschland. Parents: Johann Georg Maus and Frau Elisabetha Maus
    Ancestry also has an entry for a Magarethe (i.e. Margret) Maus baptised in Londorf, Hessen on 7 Feb 1833, mother Elizabetha Maus.