Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Haycock brickwall in Wolverhampton

Hi,

Still trying to find both a DoB and mother's name for my great-grandfather George Haycock, whose DoB is listed as December 24, 1862 on his naval papers, but in the 1939 Register gave his DoB as 24 MAY, 1862. In both instances he listed his birth place as Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, and the earliest trace of him is indeed in the 1871 Wolverhampton census living with his father (?) John Haycock and (half) siblings from John's marriage to Susan(nah) Dixon/Dickson.

George, however, was born two years after Susan's death in 1860 and (somewhere) lists his mother's first name as Maria. According to distant relatives her last name was White, or Whitehead, but that hasn't produced any results.

Either I'm constantly overlooking something, or George's origins are not what they seem.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

For anyone wishing to help, first see post #2 in this thread.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...ack?highlight=

and especially this link, before starting any research
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...t=skye+haycock
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Super Moderator

On the 1939 register is George living with his wife Frances in Liverpool and is he a Shipyard Labourer?

Super Moderator

If the above George is yours, then he married Frances Prince in Toxteth Park (Liverpool) in 1888. I am note sure the 1939 registers gives the place of birth.

On the 1881 census George is an ordinary Seaman with the Royal Navy.
    On the 1901 census George is living with Frances in Kirkdale Lancs (states born in Wolverhampton, along with
    2 daughters and 2 sons, He is listed as being a Dock Labourer
    On the 1911 census he is still in Kirkdale and still stating born in Wolverhampton. This time he has 4 daughters and 3 sons, also a Josephine Price who is a niece. George's occupation is Dock Labourer

Of course you may already have this info.

Super Moderator

Just found something else. On the 1891 census there is a George Henry Haycock, born about 1891 in Wolverhampton to a Thomas and Maria, Thomas's mother is called Fanny.

Could be Fanny Walton -m- Joseph Haycock in 1874

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Sue,

Thank you so much for all that, but as you surmised earlier, I already have that info. Sorry you went through the trouble, I should have been clearer on what I don't have.

I am specifically looking for George's birth and his mother. The same really goes for his father John Haycock/Heycock, born around 1816 in Oswestry.

Strangely enough I have been able to trace earlier generations of the Wolverhampton Haycocks back to Wheaton-Aston, as John's father John Sr. is mentioned on his marriage certificate. Unfortunately I only have been able to find John Sr.'s 2nd marriage to Sarah Woodward (nee Carter) and not the one to John Jr.'s mother.

So I'm basically missing two female ancestry lines, the one for George and the one for his father John Jr. It's amazing I haven't been able to find either one of them after all this time, unless of course they happened to be born out of wedlock and had completely different surnames at birth.

Super Moderator

There is a birth reg in June 1862 for Wolverhampton - the name of George ALCOCK. If he was born n May then his birth reg. would probably be in the June qtr.

I checked the GRO entry and the mother's maiden name was Davies. So maybe not yours.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I found that one before as well, and found George Alcock alive and well somewhere in the 1881 census I think. This is so, so frustrating, not just for me but for people trying to help as well.

Super Moderator

I haven't been able to find a birth reg. for Frederick (on the 1871 census) either.

Famous for offering help & advice

An extreme long-shot based only on the belief that his mother may have been named Maria.

There is a baptism 30 Aug 1862 of George Taylor s/o Maria Taylor, Paradise Street, Spinster.

Maria is at Paradise Street in 1851 with her parents Mathew & Eliza, aged 6. She isn't with them in 1861 , but there are additional siblings including a George born c1858.

I can find a birth registration for George Taylor b 1858 mmn Simmons, but not for George b1862