Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Who adopted Llewellyn Gabriel Griffiths

Hi all, this is another research project regarding my grandfather named above who was born in Winchester barracks in 1880 and whose mother died in childbirth. He was adopted by Michael and Ellen Brennan (unofficial adoption I would think). Family folklore has said that Michael Brennan was a tailor in the army and his wife Ellen was an army midwife.
    I have one picture of the family which was taken in Dublin. Llewellyn looks about 2-3years old and the father has an army uniform on.

In the 1901 and 1911 Irish census they are living in Limerick. Michael gives his birth place as Cork (Ireland) and Ellen gives her birthplace as England.
    I am looking for further information on both. I have been looking on ancestry.com and I have come up with a potential hit Michael Brennan KRR's regimental number 2106 discharged from the army in 1886 at the age of 41.
    Can anyone advise me as to where I can find out where he enlisted in the army? I don't know where they married or lived in the UK. I don't know the maiden name of his wife Ellen or where in England she was born. I have been trawling through the Uk Census for clues but not having the maiden name makes it difficult. in the Irish census she is 5years younger than Michael. he was born 1845. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Famous for offering help & advice

Michael Brennan No 2106 enlisted into the 1st Battalion Kings Royal Rifles 6 Oct 1864, discharged 9 March 1886 on termination of 2nd period of engagement

Thanks Jomot 1. Does it give his address when he enlisted? I would like to find out more re his family and that of his wife Ellen if possible.
    Last edited by Anne2407; 15-02-2021 at 1:57 AM. Reason: spelling

According to Regiments.org (wayback machine) the KRR were in Winchester 1873-1881, but the only Michael Brennan I can find there in 1881 was aged 22 & born Blackburn Lancashire, listed as a private in the Rifle Brigade.

In 1901 Michael & Ellen have a son with them - Louis aged 21 born England. Is this Llewelyn?

Quote Originally Posted by Anne2407 View Post
    Thanks Jomot 1. Does it give his address when he enlisted? I would like to find out more re his family and that of his wife Ellen if possible.
    Unfortunately not - its just a register not the full papers. I'll see if I can see anything more.

Yes. they changed his name to Louis. they had no other children. They raised him in Limerick.

Found his papers - under BRENAN

Michael Brenan enlisted into the 60th Rifles in 1864 aged 20. He was born in the parish of St Finbar (sic), Cork, but on enlistment was a labourer and living in the parish of St Margarets, Middlesex. Enlisted at Westminster 5 Oct 1864. Re-enlisted 26 November 1874 at what looks like Halifax Nova Scotia. Looks like he was originally in the 4th Battalion then transferred to the 1st Battalion 31 May 1872.

Married Ellen Fits(?), Spinster on 18 May 1867 at Stratford, Canada West.

Served in 'Canada' Aug 1865-July 1869, and Nova Scotia Jan 1873-Jan 1877

ADDED: Original service number looks like 1594

The marriage is on Familysearch: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...A1%3AQ2CB-7QT1

Married 18 May 1867
    Michael Brennan aged 23 resident in Stratford, Ontario, Born Co Cork, Ireland to parents Daniel & Eliza
    Ellen Fits? Fats? aged 17 resident in Stratford, Ontario, born in England to William & Mary
    Witness: James Breslin, Stratford

In 1871 I think Michael is in Colchester, aged 26 & a soldier. With him is wife 'Helen' aged 19 & born Canada. Census ref RG10 Piece 1685 Folio 58 Page 38.

Skipping pack through the pages to the Enumeration Book for The Camp, Colchester, there is a handwritten note (dated 31/1/35?)saying "This enumeration is presumed to belong to 4th/60th KRR. No mention is made anywhere as to which Regiment it represents".

Checking the army index for 1871 M Brennan No 4th Bn 60th (King's Royal Rifles) Regiment Of Foot was stationed at Colchester in 1871.

So Ellen was potentially born Canada, not England.

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    The marriage is on Familysearch: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...A1%3AQ2CB-7QT1

Married 18 May 1867
    Michael Brennan aged 23 resident in Stratford, Ontario, Born Co Cork, Ireland to parents Daniel & Eliza
    Ellen Fits? Fats? aged 17 resident in Stratford, Ontario, born in England to William & Mary
    Witness: James Breslin, Stratford
    thanks Jomot 1 for your help. You are a whiz. "all that's hidden will be revealed". you are so good at all of this detective work. I will try to search birth/ baptism records for Michael in St Finbars Cork to find his original homeplace. Do you know if nurses/midwifes in the army had any status or records kept on them back in the 1880's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast