Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Famous for offering help & advice

I keep leaving this & then thoughts pop into my head so back I go!

I think the 'Fits' surname is only a partial name, and checking the census for Stratford, Ontario brings up this in 1861:

Wm Fitzgibbon 33 Labourer, Roman Catholic b Ireland
    Mary 33 b Ireland
    Ellen 10 b England
    Henry 7 b England
    Wm 5 b England
    James 3 b Upper Canada
    Thomas 1 b Upper Canada

I can't say for certain in relation to the army, but midwives were often unofficial. One of my family was the village midwife according to a newspaper report, but her actual occupation was lace runner.

I think I may have found Ellen in 1851 with parents William & Mary, Born & living in Woolwich, Kent:
    https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGLV-3RM

Woo Hoo... baptisms too, with the mmn fitting in nicely with the census

St Peter the Apostle, Greenwich (Roman Catholic)
    2 Feb 1851 (born 26 Jan 1851) Eleanorae Fitzgibbons d/o Gulielmi Fitzgibbons & Maria Skuse

Same parents (although the mother is sometimes Mariae Annae Skuse) baptised the following:
    5 Apr 1852 (born 28 Mar 1852) - Joannes
    9 Oct 1853 (born 24 Sep 1853) - Michaelis
    7 Sep 1856 (born 02 Sep 1856) - Gulielmus

I'm not quite sure how one of the sons becomes 'Henry' in Canada, but interestingly I did notice a family in Marylebone, London in 1861 headed by a Michael & Bridget Fitzgibbon, Tailor, born Cork. They also had a daughter named Ellen, born c1857.

ADDED: The marriage of William & Mary in Woolwich/Greenwich in 1849 is on Ancestry. Shout up if you need the details.
    Last edited by Jomot1; 15-02-2021 at 4:28 PM. Reason: added info

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    I'm not quite sure how one of the sons becomes 'Henry' in Canada.
    Answering my own question, it seems he becomes Michael again in 1871, by which time I assume that William must have died as Mary is married to a James Monteith if its the same family, which it does appear to be. Ellen is gone but Michael, James & Thomas Fitzgibbon are with them, plus George Fitzgibbon aged 8.

First-rate research, Jomot.
    Alma

thanks so much Jomot for all your hard work. You are amazing in all that you can uncover. I will have to print it all off and go through it slowly to make sense of the trail. As both families, the Brennans and the Fitzgibbons originated in Ireland they probably left in famine times to go to the UK in search of a better life. there are probably scant records here going back to those times but thanks to you and your research you have really helped to fill in some of the blanks in the picture of those people who had an influence in my past. The next time I go to Limerick I will be looking for the grave of Michael and Ellen Brennan and I will be able to honor them more worthily now that I know a bit more about them. I really appreciate all the time and effort you put in to this research. I agree with Alma you are a "first rate researcher"

Starting to feel at home

I found some Fitz_____. It looked like it was used as a prefix for another name, but not sure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12