Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Question Yank looking for British Granddad

Hello, everyone, I just joined today.
    I'm hoping to find information about my Granddad. My Mom was born in 1934 near Windsor, England. Her father, Arthur John Green (everyone called him Jack), was in Worcestershire Regiment and she believes he was a high ranking officer because a whole street full of soldiers saluted him when they were there together.
    Around 1937 he was sent to India. For World War II, he was sent to Burma and fought the Japanese. He was an honorary Ghurka and played clarinet in a military band.
    My Mom moved to California, United States of America, in 1955 and she is now 86 years old and is very eager to find out about her father, who was a very distant man.
    If anyone has any hints, I'd love to hear from you.
    Thanks so much,
    Frankie Bozem

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum, Frankie. You will find that we have a lot of helpful members, and also a lot of. Useful information already on the assorted sub-forums.
    The UK Ministry of Defence has not yet released WW2 service records for publication, but family members can buy a set provided the serviceman is dead. It’s a matter of collecting the necessary data to apply for them. There’s a post about this at the top of our WW2 forum, but in short you need his full name, his birthdate and a copy of his death certificate (and 30 pounds)... However, processing of applications is very slow at the moment, so while you wait, it’s worth trying other sources as you wait.

One thing I must say. We have a strong rule that members cannot publish data about living people without their permission.it’s clear that your mother is still with us, so please be careful.

For example, the Burma Star organization may be able to help.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Do you know roughly when he was born?

Super Moderator

Also where he was born, or his wife's name (there are a lot of Arthur J Greens!)

I THINK that I may have found him HERE. Select Archive, then membership records and search on all 3 names.
    They have his membership application, dated 24 May 1966 (when did your man die?).

The man I have found was 5246026 C/Sgt & WO2 (CSM) Arthur John Green of the 7th Battalion the Worcestershire Regt. He was resident in Slough at the time. That's all, it's just an application for membership (that's why the multiple ranks, he's given them all..

Soldiers would certainly salute a Company Sgt Major if he was in uniform!

Don't get too excited until you've checked him out. I've found at least 2 other AJGs, but this is the only one linked to the Worcesters. Does the info match with what you know?

Megan and Sue are right, it helps to give whatever info you have... Just mention it if something is an estimate.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post

The man I have found was 5246026 C/Sgt & WO2 (CSM) Arthur John Green of the 7th Battalion the Worcestershire Regt. He was resident in Slough at the time.
    First, a very warm welcome to Brit-gen.
    He was resident at the address that appears in this death notice -
    Reading Evening Post, 8 Sep 1966
    DEATHS
    GREEN - On Sep 5th 1966, in St. Mark's Hospital, Maidenhead, Amy Green, aged 70, of 71 Ledgers Road, Slough, wife of the late George Green. Funeral service on Thursday, Sep 9, at St Paul's Church, Slough, followed by an internment at Slough Cemetery. All enquiries and flowers to to Sargent & Son, Funeral Directors, Slough.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Wills and Probate https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

Click on link and select "Wills 1858-1996". "Green" in Surname and "1966" in Year will return 47 pages. The will that links to the above death can be found on page 3.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Hmmm. She was the wife of a George.
    Sister in law, presumably.
    It’s tempting to think that Lucy was Mrs Arthur...

Famous for offering help & advice

1939 71 Ledgers Rd,Slough.
    George & Amy Green

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thumbs up Thanks so much everyone

I called my Mum and she said that George and Amy were her aunt and uncle and that they lived in Slough. I also got additional information from her.
    You have all made my Mum's day, she was so happy to hear what you have found. Thank you all, so much.
    Arthur John Green was born around 1903, but Mum doesn't know in what city.
    When he joined the Army, he lied and said he was 18, but he was really 16.
    He married my grandmother, Evelyn Reed, around 1933. They had three daughters and then he divorced her around 1938. They lived in Maidenhead, Berkshire, which is near Windsor.
    He married Lucy Matthews right around Feb 1952, when King George VI died.
    They briefly went to Toronto, Canada, in the 1950s, but returned to England.
    My Mum lost contact with him but believes he had a third wife named Gladys and may have had a son with her.
    My Mum believes he was 72 when he died, so that would be around 1975.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast