Famous for offering help & advice

Marraige.
    Arthur J Green
    Evelyn Reed
    Q4 1932
    Plympton
    Devon

Brick wall demolition expert!

Copies of birth, marriage and death certificates can be purchased on line from the General Register Office at:

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

I think that in order to try to identify Arthur’s birth that you need to get his marriage certificate, as that will name his father, and then using that you can search for them, together with George, in the 1911 Census.

The references for the marriage to Evelyn Reed are:
    1932 Oct quarter / Plympton district / Vol 5b Page 579

And for the one to Lucy Matthews:
    1952 Jan quarter / Maidenhead district / Vol 6A Page 87

If you check the Wills and Probate site for Surname "Green" and Year "1974" you will find Arthur's probate entry on page 5 - still at 71 Ledgers Road.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you all so much for your quick and thorough replies. I've got a ton of work to do, but I'll investigate further next weekend. Now I know when and where my grandparents were married. Have a wonderful week!

I've been trying to work out what AJG was doing in the 1920/30s (the roads are too full of black ice to get to work). If he joined up at 16, he must have been serving since 1919 (unless they noticed his age and sent him home, or discharged him at WW1's end))... He married Amy in 1932 in the UK (that marriage certificate should show his occupation).
    There's nobody likely in the 7Btn Worcesters that I can see. They were in India in 1942, directly before Burma, but I can't see what they were doing in the '30s.

There's a weakly possible candidate in the Royal Regt of Artillery (no 153523) but not enough info to say one way or the other. Another candidate (550875) in the Tank Corps was in Russia in 1944, so that rules him out. I'm not actually sure whether I'm seeing all the activity between the wars - a lot of the online sources jump directly from WW1 to WW2.

Giving up until I have a bright idea...

From the London Gazette, 8 Feb 1946 under the heading "Emergency Commissions in the Indian Army:

To be Lt.
    5246026 A/R.S.M. Arthur John GREEN, Wore. R.
    (E.C. 16479), i7th Nov. 1945

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

You raise some excellent questions, Ms. Robertson. I hadn't even thought about what Granddad did before going to India. I'll ask my Mum if she has any ideas.

With 6 inches of black ice and snow in the ground, I needed a distraction! Also, genealogy should come with a warning - it’s addictive!

PS if you Google on the regiment, there’s a couple of sites with pictures of their uniforms and of some of the soldiers in Burma.

Starting to feel at home

"Soldiers would certainly salute a Company Sgt Major if he was in uniform!"

Actually Leslie unless the regulations have changed very recently CSMs are not saluted. If I had done so my CSM would have shouted so loud in my face I would be rocking for minutes afterwards.

Ray

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Talked to my Mum and she is very happy to hear what you've found and once again expresses her gratitude. She says Granddad was a lifelong soldier, joining up around 1919 and retiring around 1952 or 1953, when he and his second wife, Lucy, went to Toronto, Canada. They only stayed there for a few years. She doesn't know where he was stationed in the 1920s and 1930s.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast