Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Hello - I'm New to this!

Hello to you all.

I'm new to any of this researching so I would really appreciate any help please.

I'm researching both my maternal and paternal grand parents 2nd world war service histories but I've quickly come to a stop.

I have have a service number for my Grandfather Howell which hopefully will help.

Also I'm really keen to know what my Grandfather Roe did after talking to my Grandmother she states that he fought in Burma and i have a little history of him but not alot else.

I have dates of birth for both gents if this helps?

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Thank you.
    Kevin

Hello Kevin and welcome to the British-Genealogy forums.
    If you came to us from Forces War Records reading this will explain the connection.

WW11 service records are not available on line. They are still held by the MoD but you can apply for them, the bad news being that the fee is 30 pounds each and there is a very long delay at the moment before you will receive them. Read this 'sticky' and follow the link to the site where you can download the application forms. You do not need a service number or regiment but you will need the dates of birth and copies of death certificates.
    Rereading your post if your Grandma Roe is still alive then you may not have to pay for that record. Be sure to check that.
    Christina

ps. If you want to do any research going back in time with your families we can certainly help with that.
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

While you wait for the records to come from the MoD, you could try other sources. If Mr Roe was in Burma, it might be worth asking the Burma Star people if they know anything, for example.
    Newspapers are another possible source...
    Do remember that many organizations are relying on home workers at the moment, and may take time to reply.

PS Welcome to be British Genealogy Forum!