Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Pam,
    I don't like to put anything in my tree without that concrete proof. Ive seen other people work where they have taken huge leaps of faith and been wrong. I saw one person show my Dad's little sister dying in infancy in the USA when she died locally in Bermondsey. That said...I agree with you. It has got to be my Ephraim so I will include him. I just wish I could find out more about his military career. I am now looking back further in the tree and have come across even more Ephraims. Thank you for your help and encouragment

Vossy

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Vossy,

I am the last person to say to someone 'add this person to your tree' for the sake of it. I'm the one always erring on the side of caution.
    However, in this case Ephraim seems to be 'the end of the line' insofar as we can't find a marriage, death, further census entry, etc.

(Some considerable time later . . . . )
    After having got side-tacked into thinking about one of hubby's ancestors who was lost at sea and going digging around online for more details about him, I had the of just sticking 'Ephraim Keeling' into a worldwide search for
    a death 1891 +/- twenty years on FMP.
    The Billion Graves website has a grave for am Ephraim/Ephram Keeling in Ballarat cemetery, Victoria, Australia, who died in 1878, aged 29.
    Australian BMDs always have more details on them than ours, and there's a transcript of some of the details on Ephraim's which name his parents as James and Ann!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IIRC you can purchase and download most Australian BMDs over a hundred years old.
    YES!!!!!!!!!!! (Off-topic - starts singing 'I'm so excited' by the Pointer Sisters. )
    Further details - birthplace - LOND.
    Spouse at death - Mary Ann Luxford.
    Registration number 7851/1878
    Start here https://www.bdm.vic.gov.au/research-...family-history
    (It's a bit slow to start the search.)
    Can't find a marriage in Victoria for Ephraim.

Ephraim is in the same grave as Thomas William Saker who died in 1871 aged 5, and William Frederick Saker who died in 1878 aged 10.

DOUBLE BINGO!
    Birth registration of Thomas in 1865 - mother's maiden name - Emma KEELING!!!
    You can check out William's birth registration.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Emma Keeling married Thomas Henry Saker 17 June 1858 at St George the Martyr, Southwark. PR entry of marriage on Ancestry.

Starting to feel at home

Pam

You really are a superstar. The month after Emma married Thomas Saker, a miner who's father was a comedian! they emigrated to Australia. Ephraim may well have followed them. Ill start on the Australian sites now. Thank you so much. Vossy

Starting to feel at home

Pam, Got his death certificate from Oz. Ephhrai was by then a carpenter and died in a crush between two beams of timber in the -one and all-. He had been in South Australia for 10months and Victoria for 6 months. His partner was Mary Luxford but we don't think they were married. They had no issue. The gravestone shows that his nephew William Frederick Saker was also killed accidentally on November 26th 1876 aged 8. I cant find his death in the Victoria BMDs. I've now got to find out what the -one and all- was. One thing leads to another.!
    Thank you again

Vossy

Try the Australian newspapers at Trove.
    https://trove.nla.gov.au/
    This might be a slightly better link as there's a link to the research guide.
    https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/

I don't know if there might be anything about Ephraim in any of the British newspapers. Probably just a copy of what was in the Australian ones (if anything), but worth a try.
    British Newspaper Archive own website, or else all except the latest additions are on FMP.

Weird about not being able to find William's death registration. I tried searching on just William, Frederick, surname only, using Emma Keeling, still zilch.
    There was another William Frederick, birth registered in 1880. Thomas and Emma had ten children in Victoria between 1863 and 1884.

Googling found this
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_and_All
    so could Ephraim have been working on a ship of the same name? Ballarat is in the Central Highlands, but is on a river. Don't know how navigable the river is though.

If you can't find any answers, put a post in the Aussie forum because we have quite a few Aussie members who might be able to solve the riddle.

Pam

Pam,
    A terrific piece of work. I found the inquest into his death on FamilySearch -
    https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q24C-YJKK

(I'm never sure when posting a FamilySearch URL if it is only viewable if a person is registered with that site?)
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Yes, I have to say I'm quite proud of those findings.
    Terrific piece of work from you, too, helachau.

Yes, you have to have an account with FamilySearch to view any pages in a link, but as the account is free there's no reason not to open one.
    William's death is also in the inquests. (Fingers crossed the link works.)
    https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...340&cc=1805122

Pam

Starting to feel at home

Pam
    That is all fantastic. I found the entry for the one and all. It seems to make sense bearing in mind he was crushed between two beams of timber. Ive had a quick look at the inquest for young William and am just trying to work out how to download it. All of my research is in the UK so far so I am a novi e with the Australian stuff. I'll say it again...you are a superstar. Thank you.
    Vossy

Starting to feel at home

Pam
    The one and all was not the ship but a claim. The area was developed after a gold rush and there was much mining still going on. It was a mining accident. Quite harrowing reading.

Vossy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast