Default Cannot bust this brick wall.

My grandmother began family research in the early 70's and I picked up her research recently 10 years after her death. She was a respected and adept genealogist.

Ancestor Joseph Anderson born on Gibraltar 1805 to Joseph British soldier) and Eleanor Anderson In King's Chapel. (this is confirmed)
    We believe Joseph Sr. (abt 1765? )was in the 57th Regiment and was at the Battle of Albauera.
    We can find Joseph and Eleanor after Gibraltar in Dorset.
    We believe Eleanor's maiden name to be Hames.
    HOWEVER, I cannot find records prior to that to confirm birth place, parents, even birthdate of Joseph Sr. or Eleanor for that matter. I was hoping something in the military records would help with this but nothing seems to really line up.
    Early research led us to believe that Joseph and Eleanor married in St. Bees Carlisle Cumberland but there is an awful lot of Joseph Anderson's.
    Early research also led us to believe that Joseph's father was John (the drummer) Anderson.
    I have scoured hours and hours of military records to no avail.
    I would love some help.

Super Moderator

Where did you find them in Dorset after Gibraltar? Was it a census record?

Is your source for the Cumberland marriage the entry on FamilySearch? 30 January, 1792. That family seems to have had quite a few children. Why do you think they were your people.

You might find a pair of messages that I wrote about helping us to help you useful - HERE. Especially when, as you point out, the names are not rare, any little crumb of information can make the "target" stand out from the crowd.

First, a very warm welcome to Brit-gen.
    Why have you plumped for the 57th Regiment?
    The Globe, 27 Sep 1805
    The Garrison of Gibraltar consists of the following Regiments, viz. - the 2nd, or Queens, the 10th, 13th, 48th, 57th Regiments, 1st Veteran Battalion, De Rolle's Regiment, artillery &c. in all 6,000 men.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"