Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Failure with GRO to obtain 1978 Death Cert

I'm trying to obtain my Grandad Luke Tomlinson died 5th November 1978 in Saltfleet, Louth Lincs (he was born 2nd Oct 1918) death certificate.

In order to obtain his military records, I understand I need his death certificate so this was my first step and already I have been hit with an obstacle. Maybe not one which can be overcome!?

I understand there is no GRO index for 1978, so I looked on the bmd free index. Can anyone tell me if they also cannot see or make out the details required in order to order a certificate? The page number is missing I believe.

I thought by paying the extra search fee for the death certificate, GRO would still be able to find. Perhaps not as sadly they have refunded a partial fee to me today saying they cannot find the index?!

I quote "We have searched the indexes for events registered in England and Wales during the years specified (1977-1979). We have been unable to find an entry that matches all the details supplied in your application."

Can anyone advise of next steps or indeed know of another way to obtain? Thanks in anticipation.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Tikal73,

Firstly, welcome to British-Genealogy.

Secondly, on the basis of what you've said, the GRO are not fit for purpose. How can they supposedly offer a search service when they can't even find an entry in their index when everyone can see that that the name and registration district appears on FreeBMD for December quarter 1978?
    However, the GRO work to a very specific 'routine', e.g. if you want a certificate for Anne Smith, they will inform you that there is no registration for that name even if all the other details are correct simply because their index says the name is spelt Ann, so it could be that you gave them more information than a request for a search requires.
    I've checked the registration on FMP where the page number is clearly shown as 1856.
    Now, you can either take issue with the GRO - who, in my opinion, have charged you a search fee for a service they failed to provide, or you could just (in this instance) save your breath and order from the 'local office' which in this case is Lincolnshire Registration Service.
    https://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/birt...ny-certificate
    You can order online, though there is a warning that certificates may take up to 21 days to arrive because of Covid. Do not use the volume and page numbers from the GRO Index when ordering from the locsl registration service. Local offices use a different system. I haven't gone through the whole thing for Lincolnshire but in the last box where they ask for additional information to help them locate the correct entry you could add 'Louth registration district'.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Pam,
    Thank you so much for your very thorough reply! I am thrilled and you have made my evening. )
    I thought all was lost and his death certificate was untraceable.
    I did not realise there was a 'local office'. I will indeed pursue this avenue.
    Thank you once again for the welcome and for your time in drafting a response to me.

Reputation beyond repute

You probably provided too much information to GRO.

I would have made a standard request showing Luke Tomlinson, Dec 1878, RD=Louth, vol=7, page=illegible.