Loves to help with queries

Default Sears Shoreditch

Hi

Looking for help with overcoming a wall made of bricks

I am with a John Sears who died in 1817 and his burial record says age 56 so dob 1761
    He married in 1784 to Mary Williams and they had around 7 children.
    From 1785 they had John, Sarah, Mary- Rebecca, Thomas, Rebecca, Mary, Ann and ( again) Sarah in 1805.
    Mary ( wife)'s mother was Rebecca and father Thomas.

Would people agree that, although they havent followed naming convention as to position in the line up, they have honoured the mother's side ?

I cannot find a baptism for John Sears in 1761 or abouts in the parish St Leonard of Shoreditch, or any where else.

Do his parents look like John and Sarah ?

Super Moderator

Do you know where John was born? Just because his burial record states age 56 does not mean that is correct. Whoever gave details of his death may not have known his true age.

Hello
    No I don't
    He married in 1784 in St Leonard Shoreditch then all his children had baptism addresses in Long Alley, and Norton Folgate. His burial in 1817 is right for him - Moore's alley in Norton Folgate
    You are right to point this out. I thought age 56 gives a John Sears born in 1761 and that seemed right for his marriage - and the bride is local, Mary Williams born 1767 Botolph Bishopsgate.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Have you looked for an adult baptism, or a 'non-infant' one, for John, i.e. any time between say 1758 and his marriage, or even later?
    One of my something-times great grandfathers was baptised shortly before he married in the late 1700s.
    Although John may well have been born in Shoreditch or one of the neighbouring parishes, you also need to look nationwide as well as just in London.

How accurate is Mary's age at death compared to her baptism, because it would seem that she's six years younger than John based on the details you've given.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Have had a Eureka moment

By serendipity I found a John s/o John and Sarah baptism record UNTRANSCRIBED by Ancestry's team, in 1743 in faded but readable ,and foxed/aged pages of the register.

A message to others - Ancestry transcribers get tired and will skip entries if the name is not easy to read
    Don't give up if searches in ancestry don't produce records, sometimes they just haven't been transcribed.