Thread: John Hallifax

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default John Hallifax

I'm researching the Hallifax family and i've come across a John Hallifax 1595-1652 who married a Jane Rosse in Amcotts Lincolnshire in 1619. Then the same John has popped up marrying Anne Piet in 1626. At first i thought Jane had died so he married again but Jane didn't die til 1643. In fact i think Jane had her last child in 1629. I see some people on Ancestry have accepted that Jane was John's first wife and Anne his second but as divorce was not an option for ordinary people i don't see how that can be. Any ideas anyone?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Where were John and Ann married, and is there proof of that in the parish register (as opposed to someone making assumptions)?

You don't say where and when any children were baptised, nor what the parish egister entries actually say.

Were John and Jane having children at the same time as John and Ann?

Has anyone looked for a baptism(s) - and eventually a burial(s) - for any more John Halifaxes?

I frequently tell of my 2 or 3x great-grandmother who had several brothers, three of whom went to Sheffield, and when they had sons they called them after themselves and their brothers. So there's three Thomases, three Richards, and three Davids, all born within about ten years. Thankfully they were born after civil registration began so I can sort them out with marriage certificates, etc, if necessary.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Default john Hallifax

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Where were John and Ann married, and is there proof of that in the parish register (as opposed to someone making assumptions)?

You don't say where and when any children were baptised, nor what the parish egister entries actually say.

Were John and Jane having children at the same time as John and Ann?

Has anyone looked for a baptism(s) - and eventually a burial(s) - for any more John Halifaxes?

I frequently tell of my 2 or 3x great-grandmother who had several brothers, three of whom went to Sheffield, and when they had sons they called them after themselves and their brothers. So there's three Thomases, three Richards, and three Davids, all born within about ten years. Thankfully they were born after civil registration began so I can sort them out with marriage certificates, etc, if necessary.

Pam

Thank you for getting back to me. Both marriages took place at Amcotts in Lincolnshire. Both marriages are in the parish records as shown on Ancestry.
    Although i don't take as gospel what other people have in their trees i have looked at a couple of trees on Ancestry where they have Jane Rosse as first wife and Anne Piet as second. Looking at their information Jane had her last child in 1626 and Anne had her first child in 1629.
    I have looked up the children's births in the parish records on Ancestry and unfortunately they only give the Father's name and most of them were born in Belton Lincolnshire and one or two in Springthorpe. Also although the father of these children is down as John it seems that his real name was Johnnis or Johannes. How i got to this stage is through my ancestor Rev Thomas(John) Waterhouse oh Halifax who was the first to drop Waterhouse.He is the son of John and Jane or Anne. He married Elizabeth Maltby. I have a copy of the parish records here that says he was Joh'es HALLIFAX married Elizabeth Maltby 9th November 1649 but when it's been transcribed he is down as John. I think that's as much information as i can give at the moment. I hope you can make sense of it.
    Thanks for your time.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Although you've said where the children were baptised you haven't given names, nor, more importantly, when, they were baptised.
    We need names, dates, and place before we can begin to give an opinion.

Have you looked for a baptism and a burial of another John/Johannes/Johnnis anywhere in the country, not just in LIncolnshire? (Think you will find that the alternative spellings are just the Latin versions of John. Many early registers used the Latin name.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Although you've said where the children were baptised you haven't given names, nor, more importantly, when, they were baptised.
    We need names, dates, and place before we can begin to give an opinion.

Have you looked for a baptism and a burial of another John/Johannes/Johnnis anywhere in the country, not just in LIncolnshire? (Think you will find that the alternative spellings are just the Latin versions of John. Many early registers used the Latin name.

Going by the tree i referred to earlier there is Anne Hallifax born 1626 baptism date 23 July Belton,to Johannis and Jane Rosse i have looked this up but it only says the Father's name of Johannis. The other child is Thomas (John) Waterhouse Of Hallifax i mentioned earlier. Under Anne Piet and Johannis are the names of Robert 1629 baptism date 19 April and Marie 1631 baptism date 9 April, Belton but these only state the Father's name of Johannis. Then there is Charles 1637 baptism date 10 April and Anne 1644 both Belton but the mother's name is stated as Annae. Also how accurate are Latter Day Saints records, as by accident i have stumbled upon a long list of children born to Jane Rosse and John Hallifax. There are about ten children Looking briefly at the records of a the Johannis it seems they all come from Lincolnshire apart from the odd one from Norfolk.
    Hope i've not given you too bad a headache. Thank you for your help.