Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Alexander Rae 2nd October 1898 Newton on Ayr

Active researching my Grandfather Alexander Rae, this is a challenge.The Rae’s lived in Newton on Ayr Glasgow, large family who married into the Mathieson family.

Alexander Rae 2nd October 1898 19 Green Street, Newton on Ayr, Glasgow

The only birth certificate for Alexander Rae, born 1898 on Scotlands People only gives the location as Ayr, and says there are no hits if I change it to Newton on Ayr. That's as far as I can get without buying a copy, if you do so, it will give his parents and the place and date of their marriage.

I THINK they are the Alexander Rae and Rachel Mathieson who married in 1876 in Dalmellington (certificate also on Scotlands People).

There's an entry in the 1901 census for Alexander Rae aged 2, resident at 21 Green St, Ayr. His parents are given as Alexander Rae (44, coal trimmer) and Rachel Rae (41). * children listed, aged from 2 to 18. There will be more info if you can get the 1911 census, but you'll have to buy that from Scotlands People. I searched on Alexander aged 12 with Rachel also in the household.

The problem at the moment is that I can't find them (the parents) on earlier census returns at the moment.

If you are unfamiliar with the Scottish sources, take a look at the "Sticky" posts at the top of the General Scottish forum HERE. One of them concentrates on Scotlands People. It's a pay to use site and the official site for Scotland's records.

Found them in the 1881 census! Head of household is declaring himself as Alex Rae. They have 1 child - John M aged 4 months. Alex is 25, born Ayr, resident Dalmellington, coal miner. Rachel is 22, born Dalmellington.

In the 1891 (I'm reading the 1881 and 1891 on Ancestry), he's Alex again - 6 children from John (10) to Robert (3 months).

PS I've just noticed that this was your first post - welcome in!