Thread: Divorce record?

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Divorce record?

Hi

I have been doing family history for several years now, and although I have a good collection of family certificates I still don't know whether UK divorce records are out there to be had if they are not your own. And how I would apply for one if they are.

My grandparents divorced approximately 1947 (both deceased). Not sure where their case would be heard. They were both Lancashire people but did live in Watford area early 1940's. In light of discovering something, I'm curious as to who divorced who and why, thus hoping a record is available?

I only ever knew my Grandmother and she never had a good word to say of Grandfather.

I eventually found out he had died (and a lot later than my Grandmother had said). On receipt of his death certificate I wrote to the person that registered his death and fortunately she did respond,(I did send an sae too). I was told he was a nice man and would do anything to help people and loved gadgets. Quite the opposite of what I had been told!

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Sue

Brick wall demolition expert!

Below is a link to the National Archives guide to divorce records.
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...uides/divorce/

What it doesn't say is what about records after 1937? According to another site I found "After 1937 they are in the County registrars office and the historical archives."

Scotlands People have started uploading theirs, but un der similar time limitations to the BMDs.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi

Thanks for the replies Megan & Lesley.

I've taken a look at the National Archives and it looks like I'm out of luck on that front then. Never mind.

Other things to explore re FH that will keep me busy.

Sue

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I'd say try the local newspapers, but if you don't know exactly where they were living st the time it's probably not the best idea.

On the other hand the British Newspaper Archive has an ever-expanding set of local newspapers that can be searched on a nationwide level. If one person had an unusual (e.g. Philomena) first name search for that one rather than the other more common one (e.g. Fred). Even better if they have a more unusual surname. Add divorce as a keyword into the search.
    If no success, then just keep checking every month because pages are still being added. I think if you use the BNA site (rather than FMP) you can specify for entries added after a certain date, so if you looked today and then looked again on 6 March you would ask for entries added since 5 February which saves you having to scroll through loads of the entries you've previously checked if you have common names to deal with.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”