Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: headstones

Starting to feel at home

I do apologies. She does exist. I didn't know her full name.
    I do not take your research lightly please believe me. Sorry
    I'm actually shaking and feel a little sick to my stomach. There feels a lot of vitriol here. I didn't deserve this.
    Jaqui Gee

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

It's not vitriol, jaqui, it's a statement of fact. Which is that nobody with the name of Dorah Stone had a death registration in England and Wales between 1933 and 1973.

If you don't know someone's name, then say so. We'll do our best to help find the person, but we would need a few more details than just birth and death dates.

I have since done a little more checking, and based on the dates you have given for 'Dorah Stone', I think we were too optimistic about Phillip's find of Dorah Livingstone's death in post #7.

Pam you are quite right about Dorah- I can't find her under Stone but there is Mrs DORAH LIVINGSTONE Died Southport area and connected over some years to the Arnside Synagogue- this data appears in the Jewish Chronicle 1952. But, I can't see her GRO Death Index Record- have I missed it?
    Phillip - there is a death registration for a Dora (no final H), Southport registration district, June quarter 1952. But that doesn't fit a death date of 24 December 1952.
    This Dora was aged 81, which again doesn't fit being born in 1887 and dying in 1952. (Approximately 65 years.)

There's a Dora Livingstone, born 1871 (fits with being 81 in 1952), living in Southport with a Lewis Livingstone in the 1939 Register. There are also two other people in the household. One has sticky tape over their name making it almost illegible, though it looks as if begins with 'Light', and the other entry is redacted. FMP have Dora's name indexed as Dona.
    Searching for a possible marriage for Lewis and Dora, FreeBMD are showing Lewis Livingstone on the same page as Fanny Dora Vitofski September quarter 1891, Prestwich (so same county as Southport). Lancashire BMD have the marriage taking place in the Great Synagogue in Manchester.
    In 1901, Lewis and family are living in Manchester. RG13/3749 folio 37 page 26
    Lewis born Russia (Russian subject) Dora a son and a daughter born Manchester.

jaqui It would seem that you need to do a little more research into Yetta's siblings in order to find the alleged 'Dorah Stone'.
    In the first post I made (and lost) I said that it was highly likely that her father had two marriages. Only if a woman married at something like 16 is there a chance that she could have a child thirty-one years later. Marrying at 20, with a child at 51 there is still a chance, but I would have thought extremely remote.

I presume you know how to search the US census and civil registration, so you need to do the same in the UK.
    For England and Wales, both Ancestry and Findmypast (FMP) have the censuses from 1841 to 1911. (1921 is due for release next year.)
    For birth registrations 1911 and before, you need https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/login.asp
    Ignore the Passport Office heading, that is the correct site. Register, and then on the second page you want 'search indexes'. Find Yetta's birth registration, and note her mother's maiden name. You can then continue to search the GRO site for births with Yetta's surname and mother's maiden name, or you can wait until you've found some of their names in the census.(See next paragraph.) I would advise confirming Yetta's birth year in the GRO index before looking for her in the census.

Once you've confirmed Yetta's birth year then you can search for her in the various census. She will hopefully be in at least one census with her parents and some of her siblings. Who you can then double check on the GRO site for their birth registration and mother's maiden name.

The census will also give you details about Yetta's parents, who you can then trace further back and foRwards on the other census. The one thing you will need to be careful about is if Yetta's mother died between her birth and the 1901 census, and therefore the name of her father's wife might not be the same as her mother. i.e. her mother might be Rachel, but her father's wife in 1901 is Freda. The 1911 census is helpful because it should tell you for how long a couple have been married, how many children they had, and how many are still living/how many died.

For birth registrations 1912 and after, the mother's maiden name is given in https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

If you get stuck, come back and ask, but find Yetta's birth registration and 1901 census entry first.
    Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

As a help here is the Jewish Chronicle newspaper article regarding the Death of DEBORAH STONE as per #9. The article includes the name of her sister Yetta...On Wednesday Dec 24 1952..beloved wife and mother DEBORAH STONE 4 Seelig Avenue Hendon NW9 passed away at St.Mary's Hospital Paddington W2.Deeply mourned by her husband Abraham,sister YETTA,children Anne,Bella,Harry,Millie and Bernard, son in law David,daughter in law Mollie,grandchildren,relatives...

This is the GRO Death Index Record for Deborah Stone Dec qtr 1952 Age 68 Paddington 5d 233.
    This is the JewishGen Online Burial Record-Deborah Stone 24 December 1952 Plot D2 Row 41 30 Rainham age 68.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Jaqui there is a post here https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...us-to-help-you which aims to help people see the sort of information that can help us to help people find their people. It may help, or at least amuse you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12