Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default William Gurd Cox Family

Hi. My Name is Lucy Cox and I am looking for military records for William Gurd Cox who we believe served in the Royal Irish Fusiliers or Rifles around 1873. Any suggestions will be most appreciated.

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    if you came to us from Forces War Records reading this will explain the connection.
    I see from your tree on ancestry that you have William Gurd Cox born 1843 in Queens Co.Ireland and according to the 1901 census arriving in Canada in 1883. He is with his wife and children in 1891. He and his wife must have travelled about as their children are born Ireland, Sth Africa, Bermuda and finally Nova Scotia.
    You have an 1861 UK census for William in Camden Town Middlesex with step father Richard Brangham and his wife Elizabeth and a step daughter Margaret Cox age 15. You do not have her in your tree?
    I can't see any military records for William G. on ancestry.com but there are some on Findmypast for William Cox and a William G Cox both in both British Army and the Americas. I can't access the full records as I don't have a sub but you can purchase some credits to view them.
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default thank you

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    if you came to us from Forces War Records reading this will explain the connection.
    I see from your tree on ancestry that you have William Gurd Cox born 1843 in Queens Co.Ireland and according to the 1901 census arriving in Canada in 1883. He is with his wife and children in 1891. He and his wife must have travelled about as their children are born Ireland, Sth Africa, Bermuda and finally Nova Scotia.
    You have an 1861 UK census for William in Camden Town Middlesex with step father Richard Brangham and his wife Elizabeth and a step daughter Margaret Cox age 15. You do not have her in your tree?
    I can't see any military records for William G. on ancestry.com but there are some on Findmypast for William Cox and a William G Cox both in both British Army and the Americas. I can't access the full records as I don't have a sub but you can purchase some credits to view them.
    thank you for the help. nothing at Findmypast that linked up. Ill check the census and see what was there. I think he was in the 86th Regiment of foot which was not named The Royal Irish Rifles until later. Lucy