Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default William Nicholson B: Moorhouse, Yorkshire

I know Wllliam Nicholson was born in 1816 in Moorhouse, Yorkshire and have the 1851 and 1861 census records. I know he was married to Ann Dilcock on 15 July 1838, in Edlington, England. Ann was born in 1814 in Yokefleet, Yorkshire and I have her parents. I believe his father was also William Nicolson born about 1780. but haven't found any more information about William Nicolson Sr. and would appreciate any help or ideas you could give me.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I know that you are going to think me dreadfully nit-picking and pedantic, but . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jackie View Post
    I know Wllliam Nicholson was born in 1816 in Moorhouse, Yorkshire
    No, you know that according to the census records William was born circa 1816 in Moorhouse. I say 'circa' because the 1851 census says he's 35, therefore born 1816, but the 1861 census says he's 44, therefore born 1817.Have you found him in any later census, or did he die between 1861 and 1871?

and have the 1851 and 1861 census records.
    It's usually a very good idea to give the census references so we can check them for ourselves. In this case, if I'd stuck to William being born in 1816 when searching the 1861 census I wouldn't have found him because his age differed by a year to the 1851 census.
    1851 reference; HO107/2346 folio 177 page 8. Living in Cadeby.
    1861 reference: RG9/3516 folio 13 page 20. Living in Spotbrough.
    Quoting the census reference also overcomes any differences between what you say the name is and how it's indexed on the likes of Ancestry and FMP. For instance, you could say Nicholson, but the index says Nickelson.
    I know he was married to Ann Dilcock on 15 July 1838, in Edlington, England.
    I am assuming from this that you have either a copy of the entry in the parish register and/or a copy of the marriage certificate from the GRO. Or I you relying on a transcription in an index?
    Ann was born in 1814 in Yokefleet, Yorkshire and I have her parents.
    Does this mean that you have found her baptism in the actual Yokefleet parish records, or are you relying on a transcription? If not, how do you have her parents?

I believe his father was also William Nicolson
    What makes you say this? Is it from the marriage certificate? If so, does it give an occupation for William senior?
    born about 1780.
    Never base an estimate about someone's birth year based on when a child was born. That child could be the first in the family, it could be the last born over a period of twenty-five years.
    It's a lesson I learnt very early on in my family history research. Great-granddad born 1861, so someone said his parents were married c1859. Er, not quite - they married in 1848, and in a totally different village to where they were living in 1851 and 1861. (In fairness, I do have to add that this was in the days before all the census were available online. The only one which was was the 1881.)
    but haven't found any more information about William Nicolson Sr. and would appreciate any help or ideas you could give me.
    Where have you already looked? (Saves us wasting time duplicating your research.) Have you searched the census for places in and around Doncaster? Have you searched any online parish registers? Sites such as Free REG?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thanks Pam Downes for all of your help. William Nicholson Jr was born either 1816 or 1817 in Moorhouse, Yorkshire as stated in all three census, 1851, 1861 and 1871(GBC/1871/4716/0246 no image available). His wife, Anna Dilcock(as per England and Wales Marriages) was christened on 06 feb 1815 in Laxton,Yorkshire(England Births and Christenings. The Christening record doesn't give her date of birth as some do) all census records say born in 1814. Her parents are William Dilcock and Sarah Polls and I have their marriage through England Marriages. William Nicholson, Jr. died between the 1871 census and the 1881 census. In 1881, Ann Nicholson was a visitor with her son in law, John Guest and her daughter, Jane Nicholson Guest and their family. On the marriage record for William Nicholson Jr and Ann Dilcock, there is no mention of his father. I haven't found him anywhere and can't remember where I got "William" or the age. I checked freeREG but didn't know enough to find anything. Thanks for making me take another look.

This marriage certificate is online at FMP
    July 18th Edlington.
    William Nicholson, full age, bachelor, labourer, residence at time of marriage Newton in Sprotborough, father William a labourer
    Ann Dilcock, full age, spinster, servant, residence at time of marriage Edlington, father William a labourer.
    Both signed with a X. Witnesses: Harriot Tyas and James Marshall (he witnessed a few marriages in the Edlington church, probably a church official)
    Alma

You have the 1851 and 1861 censuses and say no image available for 1871.

1871, Sprotborough, RG10; Piece: 4716; Folio: 122; Page: 15
    William Nickolson, 54 Head, ag. lab. Hooton Pagnall
    Ann Nickolson 57 Wife, York Fleet
    Charles Nickolson, 12 Son, Cadeby
    William Nickolson, 6 Grandson, Wortley

This looks like William's baptism record.
    Hooton Pagnell born 22nd Nov 1816, baptised 25th Dec 1816.
    William Nicholson.
    Parents: Elizabeth and William, a labourer, abode Moorhouse
    Alma

A brother?

Hooton Pagnell, born 5th Aug 1814, baptised 29th Sept.
    George Nicholson, parents Elizabeth and William, a labourer, abode Moorhouse
    Alma

Default 1871 census

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post

William Nicholson.
    Thanks Alma; I shall certainly check that out! Happy Jackie

A brother?

Hooton Pagnell, born 5th Aug 1814, baptised 29th Sept.
    George Nicholson, parents Elizabeth and William, a labourer, abode Moorhouse
    Thanks, I'll check that one out as well

This marriage certificate is online at FMP
    July 18th Edlington.
    William Nicholson, full age, bachelor, labourer, residence at time of marriage Newton in Sprotborough, father William a labourer
    Ann Dilcock, full age, spinster, servant, residence at time of marriage Edlington, father William a labourer.
    Both signed with a X. Witnesses: Harriot Tyas and James Marshall (he witnessed a few marriages in the Edlington church, probably a church official)
    Thanks, I don't have Find My Past, appreciate it

William Nicholson.
    A probable marriage
    Hooton Pagnell, 20th Nov. 1811.
    William Nicholson of Frickley with Clayton and Elizabeth Stenton of Hooton Pagnell

Hooton Pagnell
    And a baptism.
    William son of William a labourer and Martha, his wife, born June 18th 1786, baptised Aug 6th Aug 1786.

1861, Sprotborough, RG 9; Piece: 3516; Folio: 8; Page: 10
    William Nicholson 74, farm lab. born Hooton Pagnell
    Elizabeth Nicholson 75, I can't decipher her birthplace, something like Henningfield

1851, Newton, Sprotboriugh. HO107; Piece: 2346; Folio: 186; Page: 4
    William Nicholson 65, Hooton Pagnell
    Elizabeth Nicholson 66, Emingfield (probably a misspelled Hemingfield)
    Ann Stenton, visitor, 65, Sprotborough
    Mary Ann Nicholson, g.dau, 4, Castleforth (perhaps Castleford?)

1841, Newton, Sprotborough. HO107; Piece 1329; Book: 7; Folio: 7; Page: 11
    Ages are out but I do think it's the same folk, address same ass 1851.
    William Nicholson 50, ag. lab.
    Joseph Nicholson, 10
    Elizabeth Nicholson, 45
    John Dobson 10,
    Mary Dobson 3
    Ann Stainton 45, (probably Ann Stenton in 1851)

There is more but I'm too tired now.

Happy Jackie can you help this search by telling us what records you have as I don't want, or want others, to waste time and effort searching for records you already have.
    Alma

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast