Thread: Berry

Default Berry

Looking for any info on Florence and Geoffrey Berry . South farm road Worthing
    Children , Nellie, Sydney, Gwendoline ,Susan and i think William

Geoffrey was apparently in the military but i cant find any info on him at all

Regards

Brick wall demolition expert!

Is this your family:

Jeffrey E Berry born 9 April 1896 married Florence M H Wilkinson born 30 June 1896?

In 1939 that person was a paper hanger and painter and they were living at South Farm Road, Worthing.
    Children living there:
    William J born 10 Jul 1927
    Nellie A born 18 Oct 1929 – she went on to marry a Mr Downer
    Sydney B born 25 May 1932
    Arthur born 21 Dec 1935
    Gwendoline born 28 Jan 1938 – she went on to marry a Mr Campbell

There are a number of other records which are “closed”, so there could be more children, Records are closed for 100 years unless the person is dead.

Jeffrey Berry and Florence Wilkinson married in West Ham in 1926. Searching the birth indices for Berry children whose mother’s maiden name was Wilkinson has shown far too many to be certain which ones can be ruled in or out.

Jeffrey Edward Berry was born in West Ham, and the 1901 Census shows him living in Wanstead, West Ham with his parents Shelley B and Susie, and his siblings Nellie, Faith and Gertrude. Interestingly in the 1911 census his name is spelt with a “G”.

In terms of his military service there are WW1 medal cards for a J E Berry. In terms of his service record the overwhelming majority of all WW1 service records were destroyed during the Blitz of WW2. Those records which survived are called the “burnt records”.

Hi
    Yes that is the family
    There were believed to be other children , all of the children of Geoffrey and Florence are now deceased i cant find out
    I am not sure if that Jeffrey E Berry is the same one for the military records as he would have been too young
    Sydney went on to marry a lady called Carol and Arthur died quite young. He i buried in Durrington Cemetery Worthing . I would love to know when they moved to Worthing . But ty so very much for all your info it is much appreciated

If you are sure that your Geoffrey/Jeffrey married Florence Wilkinson then the family Megan found is the correct one especially as the names of the children are the same.
    Where did you get the information that Jeffrey served in WW1? There are two Geffrey Berrys on ancestry in the
    UK, World War I Pension Ledgers and Index Cards, 1914-1923 but these are in their Fold3 site so a separate sub is needed and I can't access them. I also don't know whether they would igve any information as to his next of kin/family. Another problem with WW1 service records is that 60% + of them were destroyed by bombing/fire in WW11 so it is a lucky person who finds the one they need.
    Medal Roll index cards survive as do the Medal and Award records but it is very very rarely they have any personal information on them.
    If your Geffrey/Jeffrey did serve then he may have got away with giving a false age and even a false name.
    You mention a daughter Susan and after 1926 anywhere in the UK this is the only one that shows on FreeBMD
    Births March 1/4 1934
    Susan G Berry mother's maiden name Wilkinson reg dist E.Preston 2b/472
    Christina
    Sorry Megan I repeated some of your info.
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Hi Christina
    Yes i am sure of the Geoffrey and Florence are the correct ones. I believe rightly or wrongly that he was in the Coldstream guards but i cant find any info on that.
    I have no information that he served in WW1.
    Susan Gertrude was Florence and Geoffrey's daughter and she had a son called Jeffrey.

I am grateful for your's and Megan's info it has been useful , ty once again Christina

Hi again
    Jeffrey E wouldn't have been too young to join up under his own name as he was born 9 April 1896.

There is this death registration on FreeBMD as a possible for Jeffrey's mother.
    Susannah Berry March 1/4 1941 age 86, registration district Worthing, vol 2b page 964
    On the 1939 Register Susannah born 16 July 1854 is at 8 Briar Avenue West Wittering with her son? Sydney born 18 April 1884 a Motor Engineer (Retired)and Susanne Berry born 1 Nov 1905. This Susanne has her surname crossed out and changed to Denham and Sydney Berry's full name is crossed out and over the top is written the name Edgar Denham. The crossing out of women's names usually occurred when they married and husband's name written in but this time they have also crossed out Sydney's name which I haven't seen this before. I searched for a marriage of Berry and Denham but can't find one.
    Just found a marriage of a Susannah F Berry to an Edgar Denham in Sept 1/4 1913 West Ham registration district.
    My head is starting to spin, I'll come back to it,
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs