Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Richard and Olive Diskin

Simple question.

Does anyone have these two ancestors in their family tree?

All I know is that they arrived in NZ during April 1925 with their daughter Irene.

Any help appreciated.

From where? How old?

It helps to provide any if you provide any info (even if it’s an estimate as long as you say so).

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Flatlander View Post
    Simple question.

Does anyone have these two ancestors in their family tree?

All I know is that they arrived in NZ during April 1925 with their daughter Irene.

Any help appreciated.
    Don't have Diskins in my tree but:

Richard Diskin's birth was registered in Wigan in Sept qtr. 1891
    He married Olive Fayle in Sept qtr. 1916 in Wigan
    Irene was born Dec qtr 1920 Wigan

Super Moderator

Looks like there was son too: Richard Diskin mmn Fayle. Birth registered Dec 1918 Wigan

Super Moderator

In 1911 Richard was boarder with a family called Ashcroft at 28 Warrington Road, Leigh, Lancs. Richard was a Canal Boatman working for a Coal Colliery. In 1901 he was living with his uncle.

The passage to New Zealand shows that he was accompanied by Mrs. Diskin, Richar age 6, Irene 4 and Herbert 1. The address given is 330 Bolton Road, Ashton in ?, Wigan. They left Southampton on the 13th March 1925 on the ship Athenic.

Just found that Richard died in 1978 and is buried in Orowaiti Cemetery. Westport

Super Moderator

There is other info on Ancestry regarding Richard's service during WW1 in the Uk and his son, Richard in New Zealand.

First of all, thanks everyone for the replies. They have solved a small problem.

I had Richard as being born in 1895, and living at 152, Warrington Lane, Abram, Wigan. As such, I've not been able to find any record of his marriage, or birth of children.

Could the son Richard have been born in NZ? Passenger records for the Athenic show that only he, Olive and Irene travelled on it.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatlander View Post
    First of all, thanks everyone for the replies. They have solved a small problem.

I had Richard as being born in 1895, and living at 152, Warrington Lane, Abram, Wigan. As such, I've not been able to find any record of his marriage, or birth of children.

Could the son Richard have been born in NZ? Passenger records for the Athenic show that only he, Olive and Irene travelled on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post
    In 1911 Richard was boarder with a family called Ashcroft at 28 Warrington Road, Leigh, Lancs. Richard was a Canal Boatman working for a Coal Colliery. In 1901 he was living with his uncle.

The passage to New Zealand shows that he was accompanied by Mrs. Diskin, Richard age 6, Irene 4 and Herbert 1. The address given is 330 Bolton Road, Ashton in ?, Wigan. They left Southampton on the 13th March 1925 on the ship Athenic.

Just found that Richard died in 1978 and is buried in Orowaiti Cemetery. Westport
    Richard junior was born in England, birth registration December quarter 1918, Wigan registration district; mother's maiden name Fayle. (Sorry, just realised that I've found information that suemalings had given in post #4.)

You need to check your information again, because I suspect I found the same passenger list (on Findmypast) that suemalings did, and Richard junior is clearly listed, aged 6.

Looking again, it seems that the passenger list has a lot to answer for, as it says Richard senior is 30 years old, which would make him born about 1895. However, it is unwise to say a person was definitely born in a particular year based on one document. That shouldn't have stopped you finding his marriage registration (in 1916) because even if born in 1895 he would have been 21 in 1916. And from the marriage, the birth registrations of the three children born in England.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Once again, thanks for your help. The document that I found was on Familysearch, which, if I understand correctly, is an NZ based site.

As is so rightly said, it is unwise to base things on just one documentso I will be checking the info again.

One of the problems that I am having is that there are a few discrepencies from what I have found out so far. I'll attempt to explain.

Richard was one of three brothers, the other two being Sydney and Joseph. From Sydneys grandson, I was informed of the following, which had been told to him by his grandfather.

Early in their lives, the three brothers were orphaned, and adopted by a W Diskin. In the years leading up to World War 1, the brothers joind the Army simply to escape poverty, and get their food for the day. As far as I am aware, they were all shipped to France at the start of hostilities. According to writing on the back of an old photo, Joseph was killed after stepping on a land mine on November 11th, 1918. This has proved to be untrue, as his record shows his death as being in 1916. Sydney remained in the Army long after 1918. I'm still trying to find out when he left the service. That leaves us with Richard, and something that has now put me in doubt of what I have been told. If Richard was serving in France during WW1, I'm now wondering if the info is correct. Next steps for me will be a)talk to Sydneys grandson tomorrow, and b) see if Richards, and indeed Sydneys service records still exist. One other thing. I'm also wondering if the address was Warrington Road, or Warrington Lane.

Famous for offering help & advice

On Family Search there is another Diskin family in Chorley in 1901.
    William Diskin 36, Rebecca 31, John W 11, Richd 2, Joseph 5, Sidney 1, Elizabeth 1.
    Rebecca and all the children born Wigan.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast