Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    The Belfast Telegraph, 11 July 1978, carried a story of a group of day trippers on the Isle of Man ending up in Warren Point, Ireland instead of Fleetwood, Lancashire as a result of boarding the wrong ferry at Douglas, IoM. to return home. A photograph of the group includes a "New Zealand couple", Mr Richard Diskin, his wife Joan and their aunt Mrs Rose Cunliffe, of St. Anne's on sea.
    Now that is a genius find, helachau. Think you've surpassed yourself there.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

Age is a little out but in 1911 there is a John Diskin b Wigan 1893, stoker in the Royal Navy at Devonport

Wigan and Leigh Archives have war details for John, Joseph and Richard. John in the navy, the others in the army. Recorded as three serving brothers. No mention of Sydney.

You people are absolutely amazing! After a chat to Sydneys grandson earlier today, I can add the following.

Sydney served in the Royal Fusiliers until around 1930. His Service Number was GS 130203. So far, I've not been able to find any service records using that number.

Rose Diskin did indeed marry Arthur Cunliffe. The Belfast Telegraph article mentioned St. Annes on Sea. That is probably correct as I found out earlier that they had a guest house "in Blackpool" for many years. Presumably, the Richard and Joan with her was Richard Jr and his wife.

Pam: The site you mentioned. Is that the one that used to be the LDS one?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatlander View Post
    You people are absolutely amazing! After a chat to Sydneys grandson earlier today, I can add the following.

Sydney served in the Royal Fusiliers until around 1930. His Service Number was GS 130203. So far, I've not been able to find any service records using that number.
    Service records for anyone who served after 1921, regardless of when they joined, are still held by the Ministry of Defence. You have to send a cheque for thirty pounds, plus a copy of the person's death certificate.
    Sydney J Diskin,(note the middle initial) death registration March quarter 1964, Ince registration district, Volume number 10c page number 555
    Always order certificates direct from the GRO.
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/login.asp

Details of how to apply for service records.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...757#post585757
    There was a wait of about twelve weeks, eighteen months ago before Covid and all its restrictions began, so that wait has at least doubled, if not tripled or quadrupled.

In 1939 Sydney J Diskin, born 17 February 1900, is living in Abram, with wife Lily and their children in Abram. Sydney and Lily Bailey married in December quarter 1925, Wigan registration district.

Rose Diskin did indeed marry Arthur Cunliffe. The Belfast Telegraph article mentioned St. Annes on Sea. That is probably correct as I found out earlier that they had a guest house "in Blackpool" for many years. Presumably, the Richard and Joan with her was Richard Jr and his wife.

Pam: The site you mentioned. Is that the one that used to be the LDS one?
    Yes, FamilySearch is the new name of the LDS site.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by Flatlander View Post

New Zealand BMDs - I noted that a Richard Diskin died 1978 (born 1891) and 2007 (born 1918). A Joan Louise Diskin died 2017 (born 1 Apr 1922). I took the photo to be Richard Jnr. I did wonder how the timing of the 1978 New Zealand death related to the couple being in England (apart from 1 unplanned, overnight stay in Ireland!) in July 1978?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

I’ve lost track a little on this thread of what’s already been found but I did find this,it looks like the father William re married.

Marriage: 14 Sep 1918
    Christ Church, Ince, Lancashire, England
    William Diskin - 56, Fire Beater, Widower, 5 Viaducts
    Alice Moore - 59, Widow, 5 Viaducts
    Groom's Father: John Diskin, (deceased), Stoker
    Bride's Father: William Binns, (deceased), Sinker
    Witness: John Brown; Mary Brown

There are medal records on Ancestry for Sidney J Diskin :GS/130203 Royal Fusiliers

World War I Service Medal and Award Rolls, 1914-1920

British Army World War I Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920

Valued member of Brit-Gen

You can download the medal record free on National Archives UK site.

Just to let you know, I have registered with family search, so as soon as I can manage to make head or tail of it, I'll see what it turns up.

Apologies for asking this here, but is there a good online source for family members born in Germany?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123