Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    On Family Search there is another Diskin family in Chorley in 1901.
    William Diskin 36, Rebecca 31, John W 11, Richd 2, Joseph 5, Sidney 1, Elizabeth 1.
    Rebecca and all the children born Wigan.
    I can see possible births for aJoseph Diskin and a Sydney Diskin for this family but not a Richard so far.
    This Richard and Sidney would be a little young to serve in WW1 I think.
    Rebecca died in 1908 and in 1911this Sydney would appear to be in Once Lancashire, adopted son to Charles Edwards.

Rebecca died in 1908 and in 1911 her son Sydney would appear to be in Ince in Lancashire, adopted son of Charles Edwards

I can see possible births for aJoseph Diskin and a Sydney Diskin for this family but not a Richard so far.
    This Richard and Sidney would be a little young to serve in WW1 I think.
    Rebecca died in 1908 and in 1911this Sydney would appear to be in Once Lancashire, adopted son to Charles Edwards.
    I think that father William Diskin died in Wigan in 1932.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

On Family Search there is another Diskin family in Chorley in 1901.
    William Diskin 36, Rebecca 31, John W 11, Richd 2, Joseph 5, Sidney 1, Elizabeth 1.
    Rebecca and all the children born Wigan.
    That's the family, Grisel.
    Census reference RG12/3935 folio 93 page 4.
    William born in Market Rasen, Lincolnshire,, and as you've said, Rebecca and children all born Wigan.
    For some reason Richard's age has wrongly been recorded as 2 when it should be 9 (possibly 10, haven't checked it out to the precise month). Usually the children are recorded in age order so it doesn't make sense to put a two-year old between an eleven and seven.

Birth registrations, all in Wigan registration district. All with mother's maiden name of Highton.
    John William - December quarter 1889
    Richard - September quarter 1891
    Joseph - December quarter 1895
    Sydney and Elizabeth (twins) - March quarter 1900

Another child, Mary Jane, had her birth and death registered in June quarter 1899.

Marriage of William Diskin and Rebecca Highton, registered September quarter 1886, Wigan registration district.

After 1901, there were two more children, both births rgistered in Wigan registration district.
    Rose - September quarter 1902
    Edward - June quarter 1905.
    Edward's death registered September quarter 1905.

Death of Rebecca Diskin, aged 37, registered June quarter 1908, Wigan registraion district.

1911 census

William Diskin, widower, aged 46, born Market Rasen living as a boarder in Queen Street, Wigan.
    Census reference RG14/22990 SN88

Richard Diskin, 19, single, occupation canal boatman for a coal colliery, born Wigan, living as a boarder at 28 Warrington Road, Leigh (Lancashire). Census reference RG14/23199 SN131

I'll look for the other children in a minute, but will post this before the computer has a hissy fit and loses all my careful typing.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thanks Pam. The boys were not orphans then but their mother did die when Sydney was only around 8 years old. As he was then looked after by the Edwards family that may partly explain the family story of being adopted.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    That's the family, Grisel.
    Census reference RG12/3935 folio 93 page 4.
    William born in Market Rasen, Lincolnshire,, and as you've said, Rebecca and children all born Wigan.
    For some reason Richard's age has wrongly been recorded as 2 when it should be 9 (possibly 10, haven't checked it out to the precise month). Usually the children are recorded in age order so it doesn't make sense to put a two-year old between an eleven and seven.

Pam
    After re-reading through this thread, and especially post #5 from suemalings,
    In 1911 Richard was boarder with a family called Ashcroft at 28 Warrington Road, Leigh, Lancs. Richard was a Canal Boatman working for a Coal Colliery. In 1901 he was living with his uncle.
    I wish to withdraw my statement about Richard being with his parents and siblings in the 1901 census.

I think he might have been listed twice in error, as I'm sure that Sue is right about him being with his aunt and uncle in 1901 in Ashton in Makerfield. Census reference RG13/3571 folio 48 page 38.
    John T Russell, 34
    Elizabeth, 34
    Richard Diskin, 9, nephew,
    all born Wigan.

Marriage December quarter 1886, Wigan registration district, John Russell and Elizabeth Highton. (i.e. Rebecca's sister.)
    Both Elizabeth and Rebecca married at St George's church, Wigan.

Flatlander - you need to read up about FamilySearch.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FamilySearch

and this is the website - https://www.familysearch.org/en/

Well, I looked, but without success for the children in 1911, apart from Sydney/Siney who grisel had already found as the adoped son of Charles EDWARDS. (posts 11 and 12)

I think Rose might have married Arthur Cunliffe in September quarter 1936, Ince registration district. There's a Rose Cunliffe in the 1939 Register whose birthdate would fit with the birth registration of Rose Diskin in 1902.

The parish register entries for the marriages of Rebecca and Elizabeth Highton are on Ancestry in the Wigan, England, Church of England marriages, 1754-1926 dataset.

Pam

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Check out wiganworld.co.uk Twelve burial details for Diskin including Rebecca died 27 April 1908 @ Wigan Infirmary. Buried Wigan cemetery Grave details P275 which seems to be a paupers grave.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Also take a look at lan-opc.org.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    I think Rose might have married Arthur Cunliffe in September quarter 1936, Ince registration district. There's a Rose Cunliffe in the 1939 Register whose birthdate would fit with the birth registration of Rose Diskin in 1902.
    The Belfast Telegraph, 11 July 1978, carried a story of a group of day trippers on the Isle of Man ending up in Warren Point, Ireland instead of Fleetwood, Lancashire as a result of boarding the wrong ferry at Douglas, IoM. to return home. A photograph of the group includes a "New Zealand couple", Mr Richard Diskin, his wife Joan and their aunt Mrs Rose Cunliffe, of St. Anne's on sea.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast