Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Looking for.....

Hi. John Myall here.
    Looking for information on Alfred Henry Myall, born c. 1885 Croydon. Royal Artillary and Royal Ordnance Corps 1914-1918. My grandfather whom I never met. He died 1973/4.

Information on Michael Callaghan, CSM Chinese Labour Corps 1914-1918. Service No 307818. I have some trench art which he created.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Welcome to BG.
    From GRO Index.
    Birth. Myall, Alfred Henry. Sep Q 1887. Croydon. Mmn Panton

Brick wall demolition expert!

Alfred Henry Myall birth registration: July quarter 1887 Croydon; Volume 2A Page 262; mother’s maiden name Panton

There is a marriage in 1911 in Croydon which could be him: Apr quarter Vol 2A Page 732. That person married either Annie E Ellis or Alice Brown. There is another marriage in 1934 which is him: Apr quarter Lambeth Vol 1D Page 616 to Minnie E Watts

1914-1918 Service Numbers 119711, 041692; Rank Gunner; Regiments Royal Garrison Artillery, Royal Army Ordnance Corps. You can buy his medal card here: Medal card of Myall, Alfred Henry Corps: Royal Garrison Artillery Regiment... | The National Archives
    Awarded Silver War Badge 10 Dec 1918 after being discharged 19 Nov 1918 due to sickness

1939 Register: 75 Berridge Road, West Norwood, Lambeth Born 5 Aug 1887, living with his wife Minne E born 2 Sept 1896

Death registration July quarter 1974 Newport, Monmouthshire, Vol 2B page 0525

His parents were Alfred Henry Myall and Louisa Mary Panton who married in the July quarter of 1879 at Kingston, Surrey – Vol 2A Page 479

I have tried to find him in Censuses (1891, 1901 and 1911) without concrete success. These are possibilities:
    1891 – piece 596 folio 13 page 20 – in Upper Norwood, Croydon. His parents were living in Wimbledon Piece 604, Folio 11, Page 16. His father was a bootmaker born in 1859 in Kingston upon Thames and his mother was born the same year in Brompton, Middlesex.

1901 – The person listed in the potential 1891 census is now the adopted son of Charles and Charlotte Chandler living in Croydon: piece 649 folio 126 page 25

1911 The same person is listed in this census as Alfred Henry, making it much more likely that he is your grandfather, and is described as a boarder at the Chandlers. He was working as a Poulterers assistant.

I think that his father died in 1900 in Hampstead – October quarter Vol 1A Page 403.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Megan,
    Thanks for that. Yes that is him. He married Alice Brown, my grandmother, who died around 1933 at age 44. Long before I was born. They had two sons, Alfred Arthur (my dad) and Henry Jack.
    I know he married Minnie around 1934, and had a son, Edwin I believe. He actually left my grandmother, dad and uncle, at the end of WW1.My father had no contact after that so I know absolutely nothing about his life.
    My sister is researching the family tree, but I want to find out more.
    Thanks again.
    John

Famous for offering help & advice

An interesting thing to note is that his medals (excluding the SWB) were marked 'Retd under 1743 KR' which is Kings Regulation 1743. This means they went unclaimed and were destroyed after 10 years.

There are pension ledger/index card(s) for him on Fold3 which you should be able to view if you take out a free trial. These may (or may not) say more about where he went after the war. The brief transcription on one gives his residence as Llandrindad Wells, which may be Llandrindod Wells, Powys, where I believe there was a military hospital: https://www.peoplescollection.wales/items/28463

Famous for offering help & advice

I see he was a fishmonger in 1939, and there is a 1923 passenger list record for an Alfred Myall, fishmonger, aged 36, travelling from Montreal, Quebec to the UK. His proposed address was 15 Kentish Town Rd, London. He travelled out to Canada in February 1921 claiming to be single & naming his closest relative as his brother, S Myall at the Green, Great Bentley, Essex. He was intending to go harvesting.

Coincidentally an Alfred Myall also married in Montreal in 1921, but his parents were said to be Thomas Myall & Harriet Vercoe.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks Jomot
    I had heard somewhere that he spent time in Canada. Yes he was a fishmonger, but unless he gave false details, he would not have been the one who married in Canada. His mother's maiden name was Panton.

Quote Originally Posted by John Myall View Post
    Hi Megan,

I know he married Minnie around 1934, and had a son, Edwin I believe. He actually left my grandmother,
    Thanks again.
    John
    Edwin L Myall birth registered 1925 Pancras (London) You can find him in the 1939 Register living at Hallaton Garlands Road, Leatherhead, where he is described as being at school, but appears to be living in a swanky household with perhaps a schoolfriends family - the family had a butler! He died in 1993 in Newport, Monmouthshire, having married there in 1947 and going on to have 5 children whose births are registered in Newport.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks again Megan.
    I did trace Edwin's widow to Newport. My sister contacted her but it seemed that the family had no idea of Alfred Henry's previous family. It came as a shock! Unfortunately, apart from sending a couple of photos of Alfred Henry, she asked my sister not to contact her again, as "what was in the past was in the past!"
    Hence I have no way of finding any information.

Quote Originally Posted by John Myall View Post
    Thanks again Megan.
    I did trace Edwin's widow to Newport. My sister contacted her but it seemed that the family had no idea of Alfred Henry's previous family. It came as a shock! Unfortunately, apart from sending a couple of photos of Alfred Henry, she asked my sister not to contact her again, as "what was in the past was in the past!"
    Hence I have no way of finding any information.
    What a shame.