Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change of name

Starting to feel at home

Default Change of name

I was told my Uncle Joseph Sylvan changed his name by deed poll from Joseph Sivan. I cannot find proof of this. I know my father changed his name as well. I have that deed poll. Where would I find this? Thank you so much
    Jaqui Gee

Hi Jacqui
    If you are talking about deeds poll in the UK this is The National Archives guide to name changes.
    It doesn't look very promising though for you.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

My first thought was newspapers because I know I've seen announcements in the local newspaper in the past.

My second was marriage and/or death certificates because when someone married into hubby's family her marriage certificate contained both her birth name and also her adopted name.

My third thought was - ah, are we talking UK or US? i did a search for 'changing your name in the USA' and this was one of many hits. https://
    namechange.uslegal.com/name-changes-laws-by-state/

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

It can also depend on when he did it... In the early 20th century and before, some people just changed town and name, and went on with their lives...

I was just going to add a note about 'what sort of time span are we talking about' to my previous message when Lesley beat me to it.

If we're talking USA, I was going to ask if he appeared on say the 1930 with one name and the 1940 with his new name. That would narrow down the search period for the change of name. Ditto is you can find a marriage for him in either his old or new name.

Pam

Hi Jacqui and Moderators
    See Jacqui's early thread and my research on the lines under the title Freda Karchinsky/Korchinsky and Jacob Syvan started 20.10.2016- in particular #7 and #14. The birth records suggest a name change in the UK but please re-read the early posts to check accuracy.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Hi Jacqui and moderators
    There are other related threads on the lines and these need re-checking to avoid duplicating information. As a follow up to my previous post see London Gazette 17 July 1942 where BARNETT SYVAN changed his surname to Daniel Barnett SYLVAN.

I have not checked later or earlier London poll data to see when surname changes occurred. As previously stated in earlier posts not all family members would have used Deed polls .

Oh Phillip, I am so pleased that I didn't move this to another thread. Once again, you are a star.

jaqui - this is your earlier thread which Phillip refers to.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...mp-Jacob-SYVAN

Pam

Many thanks Pam for your kind comments. It is a pleasure to help people on the BG Forum and I have always been grateful for the help with my own research in the early days. This is an important forum for all researchers but especially for us who have Jewish roots.

For Jacqui, I can't remember if this is your Joseph but see London Electoral Registers 1939-JOSEPH SYLVAN 1 Wheler House ( Quaker Street)Stepney and then 1946 same address DANIEL BARNETT SYLVAN

Joseph Sylvan appears in later registers in Stepney and then Hackney post 1939.

If he is your Joseph then he has adopted the surname Sylvan by 1939 and we know that Barnett aka Daniel did so in 1942.

Starting to feel at home

thank you so much everyone. I wish there was a little note on why they changed their names. Was it too Jewish? ?? this was very interesting however that you went back to see his name as Sylvan before my dads name change in 42..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast