Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default William Griffiths born Wales circa 1830?

hello,
    I am trying to find the place of birth of my great great grandfather in Wales to learn where that root of my family tree originated. his name was William Griffiths born in ? 1830's or thereabouts. He was a soldier in the British army. I don't know where he enlisted but I know he was based in Canada when my great grandfather was born. He was also a soldier William George Griffiths who enlisted in Malta in 1866 number 1444. this is my first venture at trying to track down my ancestry so would really appreciate any suggestions as to how to approach the search.
    thanks

Welcome to British-Genealogy
    Do you have your great great grandfather in any of the UK censuses?
    What year was your great grandfather William George born? This will help in our search.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Hi Christina. I don't know what year he was born or where in Wales he was from. so its a bit like finding a needle in a haystack. My only info is that he was a soldier in the army and was based in Canada around 1850 when my great grandfather was born.

Hi
    Well we do at least have an approximate birth date for your great grandfather William George Griffith.
    What documentation that you have shows your gg grandfather as being born in Wales c 1830?
    I have been taking a look but not having much look at the moment.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Is this your ggrandfather?

UK, Royal Hospital Chelsea Pensioner Admissions and Discharges, 1715-1925
    William George Griffiths
    Pension Admission or Examination Date - 12 Aug 1890
    Pension Admission or Examination Age - 38
    Discharge Age - 37
    Birth Year about 1852
    Birth Place - Quebec
    bDischarge Date: 9 Aug 1889
    Regimental Number: 1444

Another question who did William George marry and where and when?

I am moving this thread to the Brickwalls forum with the title William Griffiths born Wales circa 1830? It should attract more attention there.
    William Burroughs

Hi Christina.
    when my grandfather was born in Winchester barracks in1880 he was given the name Llewellyn Griffiths by his father William Griffiths(60th royal rifles). his mother (my great-grandmother) died in childbirth. Llewellyn was later adopted. His father remarried and did not keep up contact with the child. my family always felt that Llewellyn was a welsh name and the family origins were in Wales. this is not certain. if my great grandfather enlisted in the army in 1866 I am only guessing that his father was born in 1820 0r 1830 .

Hi
    with this extra information our members will probably find it easier to move backwards.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Hi Christine, yes that was my great grandfather. thanks for moving over the thread to Brickwalls

Your grandfather's birth registration on the GRO index

LLEWELLYN GABRIEL GRIFFITHS, mother's maiden surname WHITE
    GRO Reference: 1880 March Quarter registration district WINCHESTER Volume 2C Page 113

Marriage on FreeBMD
    William George Griffith to Caroline White Dec 1/4 1878 Registration district Guildford Surrey
    vol 2a page 83.

So the information about William George being in the Royal Rifles came from the marriage certificate of Caroline and William George? Is that also where William G's father was named? Did it give his father's occupation?
    This feels like an interrogation. sorry
    Have to leave it for a while.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Hi Christina,
    I have a copy of a letter that WG wrote to his mother in-law (Maria white)shortly after Caroline died and it is addressed from Winchester barracks and he signed it band 1/60th royal rifles Winchester. yes it was on the marriage certificate that his father is named William Griffiths. if gives his fathers occupation as soldier.
    thank you for all your time and interest. I am not sure what time it is in New Zealand but it is almost midnight here in Ireland.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast