Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Death at Sea - Ship from Hull 1820's

Hello All, I am looking for a death at sea record (or any information for that matter) for a sailor who was from the port of Hull. A young man by the name of Robert Richardson (b. 1796). He died one week after being apprenticed and leaving port. The exact date or ship he was on is unknown, and we would very much like to work it out.

This is an extract from a family journal. "" One of the sailors and Robert was going to cover up the hatchway by some means or other. Robert lost his hold, fell down the hatchway, and broke his neck. ""

I wonder if anyone can point me at any logs/registers of deaths at sea on ships leaving the port of Hull?

Thanks in anticipation,
    SusieO.

Super Moderator

Are you sure he was from Hull? (was he born there?) or do you think this because that's where he sailed from?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi suemalings, he was born Hutton Cranswick on 19 Apr 1796, and sailed from the port of Hull - I could have made this clearer sorry. His parents Robert and Bella (Beilby) were buried at St Mary's Watton.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Below is a link to the National Archives guide to searching for deaths at sea.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...ths-1781-1968/

As you will see it essentially refers you to Findmypast. I did a quick search and could not see any Robert Richardson in the 1820s.

Have you tried searching old newspapers?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    Below is a link to the National Archives guide to searching for deaths at sea.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...ths-1781-1968/

As you will see it essentially refers you to Findmypast. I did a quick search and could not see any Robert Richardson in the 1820s.

Have you tried searching old newspapers?
    Thanks so much Megan. I have tried old newspapers - search parameters from Richardson broken neck, broken neck, accident at sea, lost footing, accident at sea....everything I can think of!! Nothing coming up......
    I need to think more about the 1820 time line. In my searching, I have seen some boys of 14 apprenticed so perhaps it was earlier than 1820....I will also delve into FMP records - thanks for that.