Thread: Sutton/Owen

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

Default Sutton/Owen

Folks,
    John Sutton b 1811 in Darlington,Durham and Sarah Owen b 1814 in Selby were married in Leeds on 23 Dec 1834; i have them living in Leeds in 1841 and his occupation is mechanic,born in county.I have not found either party again until 1881 when he is a retired hemp spinner born Darlington.
    I have a death for Sarah in 1887 and for John in 1892 but am loath to add this to my tree without something to fill a 40 year gap.
    Hoping you good people can assist.
    Eric

Growing old Disgracefully

John Sutton in 1891 no.10 Hanover Sq. Leeds (same address as 1881)living on own means with Ellen Coldwell -Housekeeper.

Growing old Disgracefully

1841 census has his mother Ann Sutton nee Ann Swalwell in Durham on the next page are 2 children Charles Sutton age 12 and William Sutton age 6 Could they be her's or her grandchildren.

Hi Warncoort,

It is probable John Sutton was in Italy during the times he's missing on the censuses. Read a post (Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:20 am) on the link I provide.

https://www.
    925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=55971

I'll post later some details from John's estate.
    Alma

Leeds Mercury 11 June 1892

The Mercury has a long article concerning the estate of John Sutton, far too long for me to type out.

Basically, it says John of 10, Hanover Square, Leeds left an estate of his residence in Hanover Square and sixteen first-class dwelling houses in Moorland Street and Park Avenue off Hyde Park Road, Leeds. It goes on to give a description and the rents achieved.
    Alma

Another article re: John's estate

https://www.
    thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/26299/page/3613/data.pdf
    Alma

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

Thank you all for your assistance,i would never have thought of looking at a Hallmark site.

Famous for offering help & advice

Just wanted to say wow, what a great find!

It looks like he lived in/around Bologna for some time before returning to the UK:

Leeds Mercury 28 March 1892, and also the Yorkshire Evening Post
    Sutton - March 26th at 10 Hanover Square, Leeds, in his 80th year, John Sutton, late of Darlington, and many years resident in Bologna, Italy. (Interment at Woodhouse Cemetery tomorrow, Tuesday at 2pm)

Same notice the following day in the Yorkshire Evening Post and also the Yorkshire Post, except it says 'today' instead of tomorrow.

The Northern Echo 16 September 1892 then carries an advertisement for the sale of various of his properties in Darlington, and names a solicitor based in Leeds.

According to his burial record he died of Jaundice and Sarah died of Natural Decay

By the way, I worked in Darlington for many years, and those properties are in a good location!

Great finds, Jomot. Thank you.
    Alma