Thread: Baptism Record

Brick wall demolition expert!

Default Baptism Record

Whilst searching for a baptism record in Caernarvonshire I came across an entry in the list of results which intrigued me.

We are used to seeing no father listed, but I have never before not seen the mother listed. So I looked at the original, and in brackets the curate wrote "mother deceased".

I wonder if anyone else has come across this before, or was this just that curate?

For those curious the entry is for Thomas Roberts 1848 Llanbeblig Parish.

He didn’t list her name at all?
    If you had the time, it might be interesting to see whether he did that to others!

Llewelyn Roberts, weaver, abode Henwaliau, married Catherine Jones on 13 Nov 1847 at Llanbeblig. The baptismal abode is Henwaliau

A Catherine Roberts was buried 15 Feb 1848, age 35, abode Chapel St., parish of Llanbeblig

The Minister, Binns, adds "Twins" against 1 entry and does endorse "Illegitimate" in others. Else, pretty standard.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    He didn’t list her name at all?
    No not at all. That's why I thought I would ask the question.

I'm used to see birth announcements which say things like "A son to the lady of Fred Smith", which reflects the status of women at the time, but this entry is a new one on me.

If I come across any others I will let you know.

One amusing one I came across about a year later, was when William and Ellen Roberts son is listed in the register as "Robert Roberts Roberts". Please don't try to say that if you've had a drink!