Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Info from sources other than census.

I wondered if there was any way you could find info for someone between censuses. I'm looking at between 1871 and 1881. What kind of records would be available, if any. Thanks

Brick wall demolition expert!

Electoral Rolls
    Rate books
    Trade Associations
    School Records
    Area Directories
    Directories and Almanacs

These are just a few suggestions. If you use any of the big genealogy sites have a route around their catalogues, and read what they say about each data set.

One thing to realise is that particular areas may be better covered than others.

And if it’s Scotland, Valuation Rolls, and depending on the denomination, Church registers.

Cemetery records - both inscriptions and lair books, remembering that many people could not afford stones and many stones have been lost to pollution, etc.
    Newspaper BMD announcements..

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    And if it’s Scotland, Valuation Rolls, and depending on the denomination, Church registers.

Cemetery records - both inscriptions and lair books, remembering that many people could not afford stones and many stones have been lost to pollution, etc.
    Newspaper BMD announcement.
    Not just BMD announcements, either.
    I've recently found hubby's 2x great-granny mentioned as a witness, as well as a report about one of his 2x great-uncles being killed in a railway accident.

My (small, country) home-town local paper used to report on anything and everything, so in the 1950s you'd get results of fishing matches, local cricket teams ('Smith was the man of the match scoring fifty-one not out, as well as taking three wickets'), youth clubs (the Methodist Youth Club's annual concert featured William on the bongoes, while Annie gave a spirited interpretation of the Sugar Plum Fairy'}, etc. I recently found an article when auntie was interviewed about her job as the newest assistant in the library, as well as another one where her (now) hubby came second in a cookery competition!

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

I certainly second Pam's suggesting newspapers. It's surprising the range of newspapers, online and FREE, available world wide. Perhaps requires the caveat "Don't believe everything you read ...!"
    One particular success I recall was a report of a funeral that named the undetakers. That lead to finding the name and address of the undertaker in a newspaper advertisement and the firm were still in business today. Their records yielded an excellent result.
    Also googling. I never ceased to be amazed what's out there.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Thanks everyone...I'll start trawling.