Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Ellen Lily Stanley Webb

Good Afternoon

I am looking to find a birth record of Ellen Lily Stanley Webb, who married Henry Downs at St Philips Church, Lambeth on 27th June 1890, her age on her marriage certificate states 22. Her Father is down as John Webb, and is also one of the witnesses.

Ellen died as Lily Downs on 16th February 1926 aged 56, with a London address of 107 Pullens Buildings, informant was her son, Albert E Downs present at his Mother's death.

I have searched for some time now and been unsuccessful, so I would love your help and guidance on this scenario please. I have also looked at censuses before she married but could not find her either alone or with her Father John?

Look forward to hearing back from you when you have time.

Many grateful thanks

Carol

Knowledgeable and helpful

In 1911 part of the family can be found at 109 Penton Place, Kensington. Henry was 44, a waiter, and Lily was 43. Son Albert was aged 11. An older brother lived at home. Two other children had been born.pwholt
    Scrap Kensington. Same address in 1901 including Pullens Buildings but in Newington RG13 384 f.7 p.5

I'm not having much luck with birth registrations nor baptisms. Perhaps those more skilled can check Albert's birth reg for mother mn, in case it is not Webb. Webb is just too common a surname and Lily too popular at the time. Birth reg is March 1900 St Saviour for Albert Edward Downs. pwholt

Famous for offering help & advice

Birth reg for Albert Edward Downs. Qm ,St Saviour , MMN- Webb.
    Vol- O1D Pg - 189.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by pwholt View Post
    In 1911 part of the family can be found at 109 Penton Place, Kensington. Henry was 44, a waiter, and Lily was 43. Son Albert was aged 11. An older brother lived at home. Two other children had been born.pwholt
    Scrap Kensington. Same address in 1901 including Pullens Buildings but in Newington RG13 384 f.7 p.5
    Just to confirm, the correct address in 1911 is 109 Penton PLace, KENNINGTON. (South of the river, while Kensington is north. )
    The address on the cover of the household schedule is written as 109 Pullens Bdgs Penton Place, but I think it's more correct to say 109 Penton Place, Pullens Buildings, which according to the enumerators schedule were in Amelia Street, in both the civil and ecclesiastical parishes of St Mary, Newington. (It's often hamdy to know the ecclesiastical parish someone was living in when you're looking for baptisms, etc.)

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

What occupation is given on the marriage certificate for John WEBB? Hopefully something distinctive. pwholt

Quote Originally Posted by pwholt View Post
    What occupation is given on the marriage certificate for John WEBB? Hopefully something distinctive. pwholt
    Hi,

It looks like Machinist, hope that helps
    Carol

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by carolp View Post
    Hi,

It looks like Machinist, hope that helps
    Carol
    Yes, it is machinist.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi carolp

Having had a similar problem in finding the birth of a direct ancestor, the marriage certificate held the big clue to me, eventually solving it. So with that in mind....

In your case, I believe the name 'Stanley' is a big clue.

I have found a birth in FreeBMD that could fit:
    Ellen Stanley, Jun 1868, Holborn, 1b, 576 - a quick look at GRO Births and mother's maiden name is 'Stanley'.

And of course Ellen gives one of her sons the middle name of Stanley too.

I still can't find her on the earlier census's pre 1891, but that will not stop me looking! Just going for a walk before the light goes....

Cheers

Famous for offering help & advice

Possible.

Ann E Webb 1842 Holborn
    Ellen KS Webb 1867 Holborn ( The image is faint,not convinced it says KS,could be LS)
    Sarah Penry 1850 ( lodger)

RG10; Piece: 385; Folio: 41; Page: 76;

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast