Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

Default James & Susan(na) EAGLE

I'm not usually so stumped.

James EAGLE marries Susan(na) TURREL/TYRELL at South Acre in Norfolk in 1816. They appear together in South Acre in 1841, 1851 & 1871. I can't find them in 1861 despite having gone through the 1861 census for South Acre page by page.

In 1881 Susan EAGLE is still in South Acre, at piece 2007, folio 5, page 3 - aged 86, Mother, Widow - with her Daughter & Son in Law.

James EAGLE was born around 1795 in (Holme?) Hale. I can find no trace of him after the 1871 census. He is NOT the James EAGLE, born Castle Acre, resident in Northwold in 1851 to 1872 (who remarries as a widower to Frances GARHAM in 1851) and is buried at Northwold in 1872.

So any suggestions for the 1861?
    And any suggestions as to the deaths & burials for both James & Susan - I have been through the scant number of burials in South Acre for the period & can't see them!

Thanks,

Mitch

For the 1861, have you checked the households of their children? I once found a couple by accident, staying with once of their daughters for a family wedding...

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Bear with me on this.

In the 1851 and 1871 census James and Susan(na) are listed last but one in the schedule.

Check out the 1861 census page for a James, allegedly born 1783, living in Southacre - RG9/1262 folio 7 page 8.
    I know the surname and age don't match, but note the position in the schedule compared to the 1851 and 1871 census. Check out the neighbours in 1861 and 1871.
    Note also one of the grandaughters in 1861, and compare to the one in 1851.
    Can you link the second granddaughter, birth registered June quarter 1857, Thetford registration district? (Interesting mother's maiden name in the GRO Index.)

Check out burials in 1873 and 1883. Might be worth investing in a PDF certificate for the 1883 burial to see who registered the death.

Pam
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 19-01-2021 at 1:21 AM. Reason: Found more details re Ellen, so amended wording.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Super Moderator

Default Eagle

Do you have proof that James actually married Susan? How do you know that the James Eagle who married Frances is not your James?

I was just thinking that James and Susan may not have been married. Don't be put off by the fact that Susan states she is a widow and James a Widower.

Super Moderator

You say that in 1881 Susan is with her daughter - Elizabeth age 58 so born about 1823. There is a marriage for William Barker and Elizabeth Eagle in 1846 but I cannot see her on the 1841 census, only Elizabeth Buckle. Any idea who the Buckles are as there is a John living with the Eagle family.

Just found Elizabeth on the 1841 as a servant. Civil parish of Northwold

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Bear with me on this.

In the 1851 and 1871 census James and Susan(na) are listed last but one in the schedule.

Check out the 1861 census page for a James, allegedly born 1783, living in Southacre - RG9/1262 folio 7 page 8.
    I know the surname and age don't match, but note the position in the schedule compared to the 1851 and 1871 census. Check out the neighbours in 1861 and 1871.
    Note also one of the grandaughters in 1861, and compare to the one in 1851.
    Can you link the second granddaughter, birth registered June quarter 1857, Thetford registration district? (Interesting mother's maiden name in the GRO Index.)

Check out burials in 1873 and 1883. Might be worth investing in a PDF certificate for the 1883 burial to see who registered the death.

Pam
    Pam amazing as always.

I totally agree with you that must be them - thanks - but why the name change? I'm supposing James is the base born Son of Elizabeth baptised at Holme Hale in 1795 - I can't see any Andersons around Holme Hale at that time as potential Fathers & Parish Chest isn't online for Holme Hale for Bastardy Bonds. James marries as an EAGLE in 1816, is an EAGLE on the 1841, 1851 & 1871 census as is his Widow in 1881. So WHY are they ANDERSON in 1861 and at both of their burials? Solving something creates as many questions as it answers!

And Sue - yes James EAGLE married in 1816 to Susan as I put in my posting - and I know he is not the James in Northwold as the two James' are in separate locations - Northwold & South Acre on the 1871 census, amongst other factors.

Super Moderator

Default Eagle

And Sue - yes James EAGLE married in 1816 to Susan as I put in my posting - and I know he is not the James in Northwold as the two James' are in separate locations - Northwold & South Acre on the 1871 census, amongst other factors.[/QUOTE

I have found the marriage but I cannot find the family in 1871. The only James Eagle I find is the one form in Castle Acre. I use Ancestry though, so you may have found him somewhere different. Is that them - transcribled as Egle? Yes it is as I see you have made the correction

Super Moderator

There is a death registration for James Eagle, registered Thetford Sept. quarter 1872, age 77.

Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post
    There is a death registration for James Eagle, registered Thetford Sept. quarter 1872, age 77.
    Hi Sue, Yes that's the one born Castle Acre - I kept ruling that in then out...
    The deaths for James and Susan, found by the Amazing Pam, appear in the register for South Acre, where they lived, in 1873 & 1883, but under the Surname ANDERSON, which is how they appear in the 1861 census - at least one of their daughters also used the surname ANDERSON apparently, but I have no idea where the surname change arises from!

Thanks for your help

Mitch

Super Moderator

There is a christening for a Mary Anderson parents James and Susan Eagle. Castle Acres 17 March 1816, another entry shows as Mary Anderson Eagle, so perhaps Anderson was the middle name?
    also Richard Eagle Castle Acre, 8 November 1818, parents James and Susannah

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast