Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post
    There is a christening for a Mary Anderson parents James and Susan Eagle. Castle Acres 17 March 1816, another entry shows as Mary Anderson Eagle, so perhaps Anderson was the middle name?
    also Richard Eagle Castle Acre, 8 November 1818, parents James and Susannah
    Thanks Sue - that definitely strengthens the case for the census and burials with the ANDERSON surname - wonder as James EAGLE was illegitimate whether Anderson was either his Fathers name or the surname of his Mothers husband after he was born.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch in Notts View Post
    Thanks Sue - that definitely strengthens the case for the census and burials with the ANDERSON surname - wonder as James EAGLE was illegitimate whether Anderson was either his Fathers name or the surname of his Mothers husband after he was born.
    Quite possibly.
    I'm always boring people in the forum with the story of my great-grandfather who was baptised with his (presumed father's) surname on the same day as his parents married. Recorded in the 1841 and 1851 census when he was living at home under the father's surname, but in 1861 was using his mother's surname. Lead me a merry dance trying to find him in that census and I only found him because of a badly-transcribed, but good enough to be recognisable, birthplace.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12