Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Famous for offering help & advice

There is a long article in the Morpeth Herald of 28 Feb 1885 about Robert Elliott of Choppington – mentioned in one of the articles above - which says he had been a delegate for Choppington Colliery, a member of the Executive Committee of the Miners’ Association, and first president of the Bedlington Sanitary Reform Association. Mention is made of the deplorable water at Guide Post at that time – which ties back to another one of the posts above.

It then goes on to mention rallies in 1872 to advance the political & social standing of the miners (also mentioned above) and some poor behaviour by the Orange Lodge in relation to this, causing two prominent members to resign, with “Mr RH Wheatley & Mr William Gilbertson rendering themselves conspicuous in repudiating the unworthy conduct displayed; though their own conduct was afterwards the subject of inquisitorial investigation [….]”.

According to the article, Mr Wheatley had been one of the mounted marshals who led 80,000 men in procession to the Town Moor, Newcastle when the great manhood suffrage demonstration took place, with William Gilbertson carrying a banner onto the field.

From reading the various articles, William Gilbertson’s name is frequently linked with several perhaps more prominent men in terms ‘grass roots’ politics – so he does seem to have been something of a political activist, which is probably what led to Robert becoming a councillor.

Knowledgeable and helpful

I'm feeling overwhelmed - both by the multi-faceted character of William Gilbertson and the wealth of information everyone is providing. It is going to take a while for me to digest it all. Just a couple of immediate responses.
    Does the appellation "Scribe Gilbertson" imply that he was also a writer/ wordsmith? Did he have any connection to the Bedlington Radicals?
    He had children born in Choppington, Guide Post and Widdrington, which ties in with some of the locations mentioned in Jomot's post.(I think Robert may have been his son.)

There's an 1899 newspaper report about a William Seaton Gilbertson and wife Mary Ann, North Seaton, being attacked by their daughter in law Sarah, wife of William's son who had emigrated to America some 11 years earlier. Sarah had returned without him. William is described as a miner. I note in the 1901 Census he describes himself as "William S Gilbertson".
    There's a North Seaton death of a William Gilbertson, 1902, age 73. No mention in the papers.
    NOTE - The penny's just dropped that this William is the "police Constable, private" the subject of a separate thread?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Knowledgeable and helpful

Both the court case and the death are my man.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12