Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default Samuel John Williams 2nd great grandfather

I have researched Samuel for 30 years and my father before that. I have found my first great grandfather's birth certificate and all census records. Both birth certificate and marriage state that he is the son of Samuel John Williams, Mariner and Jane Baker. Samuel John Williams, Jr. was born 5 Sept 1843, St Paul Parish St George, London, Middlesex, England. I found him in the 1851 census and 1871 census with his widowed mother Jane Williams. Jane was born in 1806 and christened 17 Dec 1806 in Chatham, Kent. I have her parents, John Baker and Jane Denton and their marriage. I have Jane Denton's parents and their marriage. Samuel John Williams Jr. had nine brothers and I have been in contact with at least one person from each of those lines. There parents all tell a similar story that Samuel John Williams Sr was a Japanese mariner. His earlier descendants have an Asian look to them. Our son had his DNA done and there was no Asian lineage, only 1% Polynesian. My sister had her DNA done and she had 4% Arabic; 3%Eastern Asia 2 % SE Asia and Oceania. I have hunted on every site and have never found a marriage for Samuel John Williams and Jane Baker. I would appreciate any additional ideas as to how to continue. I have had good luck on other lines through this forum and appreciate all of their help.

Famous for offering help & advice

for you to know that Samuel John Williams's wife was named Jane Baker, without a marriage record, I assume they had children with mother's maiden name Baker? Where and when was the first child born? Are Samuel, Jane + children on a census?

Knowledgeable and helpful

Samuel John Jr appears to have been baptised as Samuel John Baker, and with a slightly different father's name:

St George in the East, 24 Dec 1843 (born 5 Sep 1843) Samuel John s/o William Samuel & Jane Baker, 36 Spencer Street, Mariner

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    for you to know that Samuel John Williams's wife was named Jane Baker, without a marriage record, I assume they had children with mother's maiden name Baker? Where and when was the first child born? Are Samuel, Jane + children on a census?
    apologies, I didn't read the opening post properly.

Probably not connected, but with reference to the father being named at baptism at William Samuel [Baker], mariner, and the possible connection to the orient, there is a marriage in Shanghai in 1885 between a Margaret Jane Williams aged 19 whose father is named as William Samuel Williams, master mariner, and Alexander Cunningham Tweedie

Another possibility is the marriage 27 Jul 1829 at Twickenham between William Samuel Williams & Susannah Lavers.

In 1841 Susannah (as Susan) is in Whitechapel, but William is not with her:
    Susan Lavers 68
    Susan Williams 30
    Amelia Williams 3
    Louisa Williams 7

1841 St George in the East HO107; Piece: 697; Book: 3; Folio: 45; Page: 36.

Samuel Williams, 35, seaman, Jane Williams 30.

ETA: just noticed the address is Spencer Street, the same address as on the baptism record
    Alma

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post

ETA: just noticed the address is Spencer Street, the same address as on the baptism record
    Great find!

In 1861 Samuel is at 4 Spencer St North, St George in the East, aged 17 and a Leather Dressers Assistant
    RG9 Piece 278 Folio 32 Page 27

I think Jane may be a servant aged 52, widow, born Brompton, Kent at 133 St George Street
    RG9 Piece 280 Folio 103 page 12

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post

Also Samuel Williams answers Yes to whether born in County. So not Japanese.

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    Another possibility is the marriage 27 Jul 1829 at Twickenham between William Samuel Williams & Susannah Lavers.

In 1841 Susannah (as Susan) is in Whitechapel, but William is not with her:
    Susan Lavers 68
    Susan Williams 30
    Amelia Williams 3
    Louisa Williams 7
    Those ages may be the wrong way round, as this looks like Louisa's birth:
    WILLIAMS,LOUISA SUSANNAH mmn LAVERS GRO Reference: 1838 S Quarter in SAINT LUKE, MIDDLESEX Volume 02 Page 222

Might be worth getting the certificate to see what it says about the father.

Oh, hang on... there is a baptism for Amelia
    26 Dec 1834, St Mary Whitechapel, Amelia Lavers Williams d/o William & Susannah Williams, Charlotte Lane, Mariner

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast