Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Didn't the Charles D Dryden born 1916, Southwark die the same year? Seem to recall ruling him out after finding a GRO death? The 1916 birth was muddying the waters for the Charled D Dryden, mother Wilmore, born 1914.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Famous for offering help & advice

Yes he did die the same year. I thought that as he had the name Charles Denny and was probably brother of George 1919 that there could be the possibility of name confusion for George on his marriage cert....

A fountain of knowledge

Maybe George's wife on the 1939 register ??

Margaret Dryden (Oreilly)
    Birmingham C.B. Warwickshire England
    74 Princess Road, Birmingham

appears to be a Francis O'Reilly at that address also.
    Francis Oreilly 1887

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by shippo View Post
    Event Type: Death Registration
    Event Date: Mar 1989
    Event Place: Southwark, London, England
    Name: Dennis Charles Dryden
    Volume: 15
    Registration Quarter: Jan-Feb-Mar
    Registration Year: 1989
    Birth Date (available after June quarter 1969): 20 Feb 1914
    cremation register summary
    last name Dryden
    first names Dennis Charles
    cremation date 04 April 1989
    location Southwark

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by cgsheldon View Post
    Thank you shippo and Pam for your responses.

It definitely is confusing, assuming George's father is correctly named on the marriage certificate.

The witnesses to George and Margaret's marriage are named as Thomas J. MCAULEY and Patricia M. BROWN; I do not know if they are related to the bride and groom or not.

I do not have a birth or death date for George, nor does the marriage record include a middle-name; Margaret died 1985 in Lewisham, Kent. According to DeceasedOnline she was cremated.

I think I've identified George and Margaret in the Birmingham and Southwark Electoral Registers, but not much useful information there.

Their first daughter was born in 1944, so that birth certificate might hold clues, or a more descriptive version of George's Army occupation, but given the current pressures on the GRO I'm going to hold off ordering that until later in the year.
    The one piece of information from the marriage certificate you haven't told us is the name (and possible occupation) of Margaret's father.

I was hoping that you might be able to order the 1944 birth certificate from the local registrar's office but they have a 6-8 week delay at the moment, so probably longer than the GRO.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Growing old Disgracefully

Do you already have a fanily tree on Ancestry as I'm getting connections to one on there. If you have the only thing missing is his marriage

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by shippo View Post
    Maybe George's wife on the 1939 register ??

Margaret Dryden (Oreilly)
    Birmingham C.B. Warwickshire England
    74 Princess Road, Birmingham

appears to be a Francis O'Reilly at that address also.
    Francis Oreilly 1887
    Yes, that is Margaret in the 1939 Register.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    The one piece of information from the marriage certificate you haven't told us is the name (and possible occupation) of Margaret's father.

Pam
    Her father is named as Frank O'REILLY, labourer, on the 1942 marriage record.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyhall View Post
    Do you already have a fanily tree on Ancestry as I'm getting connections to one on there. If you have the only thing missing is his marriage
    There are several trees on Ancestry (and MyHeritage and one on FamilySearch.org) that include this family; most have the marriage happening in April, instead of December.

The trees on Ancestry have George's surname as DRYDAN with an A, not DRYDEN with an E. However, the marriage record and birth records of George's children give the surname as DRYDEN.

The trees on Ancestry also seem to think that George is the same man as George Walker DRYDEN, born 29 Dec. 1923 and died in 1985, but that is I think ruled out by other records. George Walker DRYDEN, who appears in the 1939 UK Register with his parents, James Kilpatrick DRYDEN and Margaret HENDERSON, married Patricia LOGAN in 1949.

I think Grisel at post #10 is correct, and 'your' George is Dennis Charles Dryden's brother, George Alfred.

There were two George Alfred Dryden’s, one born 26 Oct 1909 mmn Tannett and the other born 22 Nov 1919 mmn Francis (brother of Dennis Charles).

The older George Alfred married Margaret Thompson & they lived for many years at 5 Laing House, Comber Estate, Peckham.

Margaret (born 26 Dec 1906 per death reg, or 21 Dec 1908 per 1939 register) died 2 Oct 1982. Registration district was Camberwell, and probate was in Brighton.

George Alfred Dryden (born 26 Oct 1909) died 16 Feb 1983 at St Francis Hospital, London. Registration district was Camberwell. Probate was Brighton.

The younger George Alfred Dryden – brother of Dennis Charles - died in 1982 in Bromley, Kent. His DoB is confirmed as born 22 Nov 1919, but his death was registered only as George – no middle name. I believe that this is ‘your’ George.

Edited to add that George (1919) was cremated at Lewisham 7 July 1982 (died 30 June 1982)

EDITED 2 Just realised a mistake about Dennis Charles... I'll come back to it, but I still think the 1919 George Alfred is yours
    Last edited by Jomot1; 12-01-2021 at 2:00 AM. Reason: typo & EDIT

Correction to the post above - Dennis & George were cousins, not brothers.

William Dryden aged 23 married Sarah Jane Wilmore 13 Feb 1911. His father was Alfred, a sweep. Dennis Charles Dryden (born Charles Dennis Dryden) was their son:
    DRYDEN, CHARLES DENNIS mmn WILMORE GRO Reference: 1914 J Quarter in SOUTHWARK Volume 01D Page 39

Charles Dryden married Anne Francis 6 Sep 1909 (according to his army record) and George Alfred was their son:
    DRYDEN, GEORGE ALFRED mmn FRANCIS GRO Reference: 1919 D Quarter in SOUTHWARK Volume 01D Page 97

Charles William Dryden baptised 28 Oct 1883 (born 1 Oct 1883) s/o Alfred & Elizabeth Dryden, Chimney Sweep of 233 Tabard Street.

William Dryden baptised 10 October 1886 s/o Alfred George & Elizabeth Dryden, Sweep of 233 Tabard Street.

In 1891 both William & Charles Dryden are with their parents Elizabeth & Alfred (a chimney sweep) in Southwark - RG12, Piece 344, Folio 141, Page 13

As suggested at post #10, I think George (George Alfred 1919)wrongly through that his father, Charles's full name was Dennis Charles.

Settling in

Thank you Jomot.

I went ahead and ordered the cremation registers for both George and Margaret from DeceasedOnline.com.

They both lived at the same address - 165 Dunkery Road - and Margaret's record was filled out by her daughter.

George died 30 June 1982, aged 62 years, and Margaret died 15 Dec. 1985; both were cremated at Hither Green Crematorium, Lewisham.

So George was indeed the son of Charles DRYDEN and Annie FRANCIS born 22 Nov. 1919 in Southwark.

Thank you all for your help and advice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12