Hi,
My 3 x great grandfather Philip Tanswell in Bristol had his occupation recorded as Mariner on his marriage in 1796 and again in 1812 Poll Books & Electoral Register. At other times he was a Victualler - several different pubs and towards the end of his life a Master Porter.

He was friendly with a Captain Thomas Etheridge as he left him some silver items in his Will. Etheridge was master of 10 different ships and sailed over a 30 year period to a variety of different places, from Jamaica to the Mediterranean but I can find no evidence that Philip ever sailed 'the seven seas'. His first marriage was at 19 years old and I have all records after that until his death in 1819. I think they probably met when Etheridge was Bristol Corporation Quay Warden and Philip Master Porter.

I am wondering why Philip recorded himself as a Mariner. Were there mariners who didn't actually go to sea?

My late brother told me that our grandfather told him as a young boy that his grandfather (great grandfather?) was a pirate. I am wondering if somehow Philip was involved with privateers - although if he was I can't work out when that could have been.

I would appreciate any information on Mariners in Bristol in the 18th Century.
Thanks
Margie