A fountain of knowledge

Default concerned of kent

Hi All
    firstly , I would like to say that I find this forum is excellent and the help and advice in my 'part time' ! genealogy endeavor's have been very helpful .

I enjoy reading other peoples posts and the responses , as I find this is another way for me to learn and to find other resources , ie I recently discovered FIBIS ,

I have noticed over my last visits that the number of people posting and commenting has greatly reduced , have I missed some thing ? where has everyone gone ?

kind regards
    Dean

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi Dean, yes there have been very little in the way of posts, I visit this site almost every day, and its sad to see the decline in peoples interest, but I dont know why.

Robert

You'd think we'd all have more time for genealogy during lockdown. Perhaps we should all make a new year's resolution to revisit our brick walls.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Don't forget that we've recently had Christmas and New Year so people have been thinking of things other than genealogy.

Also there is now so much more information readily available online compared to when I started twenty years ago. Back then, FreeBMD was in its infancy and the only census easily available was the transcription of the 1881 census.
    So I wouldn't say it's a decline in people's interest as such, merely that they can (or should with a bit of 'how to' knowledge) find out information for themselves.
    I signed up for the new groups when Ancestry stopped supporting mailing lists (which is where both I and the BG forum began ) last year and they've been extremely quiet, so it's not just a BG thing. In fact BG is almost like the New Year sales compared to the two groups I belong to!

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”