Thread: India records

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default India records

Dear everyone
    not sure if this is in the right query box.

trying to find birth and marriage records if they exist for India,

Barakat Ali born 1883 Punjaub India. died 1952 Mt. gravatt Qld Australia.
    parents: gilaum Navi Ali and Sookoo
    according to his aust. marriage cert. to Alice Maria Lee in 1913 braidwood nsw.

at the moment, cannot find out how he came to Australia.
    have checked immigration, nsw bdm, ancestry, familysearch.org.

thanking you
    take care and been safe.
    Doreenh

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Can you confirm Barakat is his first name.

FMP have some Indian records but I think they're more to do with the British in India rather than Indian nationals (which I'm assuming your man was).

Googling 'birth registration in India' didn't bring up any promising results. I'll leave you to digest the following.
    https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Birth_and_death_registration

FamilySearch have some Indian records but I haven't checked them out.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

I did do some searching yesterday but couldn't find anything that didn't seem to be European based research. Even this page on family search with lots of links seems more European based but one of the many links may turn up a smidgeon of hope.
    The first place I looked for help was on Cyndi's List but surprisingly here are no resources specific to India apart from Fibis which Pam has already mentioned and it is under Asia in the Categories index.

Have you looked on any of the social sites to see if there are any research groups there?
    Your man is far too late to have been a convict sent to Australia unfortunately.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

A site with geographically wide ranging data is Family Search, from the LDS. It might be worth checking whether they carry Indian data.

Dear Lesley
    surname definitely Ali.
    It was used by the wife, kids on electoral rolls.
    Barakat Ali used Ali as his surname on his marriage, death and electoral rolls.
    according to the project co ordinator for monaro pioneers database, he said his records show Ali as the surname. But he doesnt have any more info on Barakat's parents.
    Doreenh

It wasn’t me that suggested a name check! I suggested FamilySearch.

A fountain of knowledge

DOREEN

I can't spend too much time on this at present but I have found that there is something called the
    Panjab Digital Library and that they have a facebook site. Details of the Library from Wiki as below.
    Perhaps they can help since it's research. Hope that helps. Jill.

"The Panjab Digital Library is a voluntary organization digitizing and preserving the cultural heritage of Panjab since 2003. With over 30 million digitized pages, it is the biggest resource of digital material on Panjab. There are many historically significant documents stored and made available online. Its scope covers Sikh and Punjabi culture.[1] The library funded by The Nanakshahi Trust was launched online in August 2009. Its base office is located at Chandigarh, India.[2]

The mission of the library is to locate, digitize, preserve, collect and make accessible the accumulated wisdom of the Panjab region, without distinction as to script, language, religion, nationality, or other physical condition."

Dear Lesley
    sorry I didnt mean to cause grief. I had checked family search. not much there.
    Gillian, I will check out the website you mentioned. hopefully they have email as I dont do facebook.take take care both of you with his health crisis. have a good weekend.
    Doreenh