Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Thomas Gilbertson - Jean/Janet Seaton. 1818?

There is an on-line family tree reference to the marriage of this couple in 1818. They subsequently had at least one child born in 1829 in Gretna, so it is possible they were married somewhere locally. I have searched Scotland's People without success. Is there anywhere else I could look? This is the first piece of Scottish research I have attempted.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

General thoughts:
    Have you found them in a census, and if so where were they born, and do their ages make a marriage in 1818 likely? (i.e. were they at least 12 in 1818.)
    Where were any children living with them in the census born?
    How reliable are the other facts in that family tree? And does it just give a year for the marriage, or a date and place? If it's just a year, then it may well be a guess. Back in the day when I first began my family history someone had said my 2x great-grandparents were married in 1859 in one village, and they were actually married in 1848 in a completely different village so ever since then I don't believe indexes/trees, etc, which lack actual dates and places.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

I found a tree on ancestry which has the marriage as 'about 1812' and the birth of a daughter Jemima in 1813 Gretna, Dumfriesshire. other children Agnes (Nancy) 1815 Elizabeth 1819, Richard 1820 George 1822, Robert 1826, William Seatoun Gilbertson 1829. The transciptions of the baptisms are there as are the 1841/51/61/71 Scotland censuses. All in Dumfrieshire.
    The owner of the tree is Jaki_McGrattan and the tree names is Townson Redo.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

All the children's baptisms are on ScotlandsPeople but I can't find a marriage for Thomas and Jean.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Thanks, both, for your helpful comments.

The person I am really interested in is William Seaton Gilbertson. His great great grandson has Seaton as his middle name and I was hoping to show where it had originated. Unfortunately what I take to be the record of his birth only shows his father's name.

I have full details of his life in England from 1851 and only found two instances where his name is shown in full: in a newspaper article in 1899 and the record of his death in 1902.

It looks as if I shall have to construct the whole family and demonstrate his parentage by inference.

Hi
    The 1901 census also has him as William S Gilbertson.
    People did adopt middle names, even entirely different first and surnames, in adulthood and that was ok to do without any need to record it formally as long as it was not for criminal intent.
    Have you purchased the baptism record for William from ScotlandsPeople to see what is actually on the original document?
    Maybe William started to use his mother's maiden name as a sign of respect after her death in 1857.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

If they were still having children in 1829, there’s a chance that the parents may lived until 1855, in which case, they will have death certificates. The mothers maiden and married names should be on hers, and generally on his as “husband of...”.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    If they were still having children in 1829, there’s a chance that the parents may lived until 1855, in which case, they will have death certificates. The mo5ers maiden and married names should be on hers, and generally on his as “husband of...”.
    Thanks, Lesley.
    Others have identified the mother's death in 1857 but I have not been able to relate that to a matching birth, and with no marriage record, I have yet to convince myself that it is correct. Perhaps I shall just have to bite the bullet, buy the certificate, and hope.

Have the others quoted their sources?

You could try bracketing her by checking the '51 and '61 census. It's one of the few scottish sources that rely on married name rather than maiden.

I've been having a wander round SP's parochial records and can't find them. Register survival can be very patchy (eg my search is frustrated because for my period, Kirriemuir's baptismal records, but the marriage book does not). It might be worth checking the GENUKI lists for Dumfries to see what still exists.

Famous for offering help & advice

Using the free searches on Scotland's People, the 1857 death is recorded for Jane Gilbertson age 68 Dornock ref 819/9 and Jane Seton age 68 Dornock ref 819/9. (In Scotland women's deaths are indexed by maiden name and all married names). Thomas and Jane were in Dornock in 1851 and Thomas in 1861.

If you register and buy a few credits you can download the image for full details. Minimum purchase is £7.50 for 30 credits. Downloading the death cert would cost 6 credits.

Similarly the baptism record for William would also cost 6 credits to download.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast