Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Grisel - many thanks for your most helpful response. As I explained earlier, this is my first foray into Scottish research, and I had not realised that Scottish death certificates could be so informative.
    I did buy some credits and discovered Thomas in 1851 and 1861 and had deduced Jean/Jane's intervening death which drew my attention to the 1857 death. Unfortunately I had then spent all my credits and I was looking for some encouragement to invest further. Thankfully you provided it.
    For some reason the record of what I believe to be William's birth/baptism does not give his mother's name - only Thomas his father.

Famous for offering help & advice

Yes Scottish records are great. Once you get your head around the free searches it's sometimes possible to narrow down choices before spending money.
    Family search is worth checking first of all as their coverage can be quite good for Scottish baptisms and marriages.
    Free cen is good for early censuses in Scotland tho I see 1851 Dornock is missing. You can find it in Scottish Indexes.

Free reg is also worth checking as they have records from some parts of the country

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12