Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Starting to feel at home
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    86

    Default Passport (1930) valid countries

    Hi there,

    So I have a copy of my great grandfather's passport. He was a civil servant for the British government, was British by descent, but was born in Egypt, and lived in Sudan.

    On what I think is the second page of the passport, it lists the countries his passport was valid for. it Says; British Empire, Egypt, Italy, Switzerland, France, Sudan.

    I'm wondering if he would have had to apply for each of these countries on his passport, or were they just given as normal? I'm just trying to confirm a family link to Switzerland, and only just realised it was on the passport. If you had to apply for countries outside of the British Empire, such as France and Switzerland, would Switzerland have been a common place to apply for at the time?

    Kind regards,

    Karl

  2. #2
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    8,380

    Default

    I'm sure I still won't know the answer but other people might if they have the following information.
    Which country issued the passport? (I'm assuming the UK, but just to clarify.)
    How are the countries entered on page 2? Are they printed as part of the passport, handwritten, or rubber-stamped with a separate stamp for each country?

    Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

  3. #3
    Starting to feel at home
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    86

    Default

    Thanks for the reply Pam!

    They are handwritten and it was issued in Egypt. Let's see if I can attach an image...

    It doesn't seem like the embedded image worked, so here's a link.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/q1qem4l22o...sport.jpg?dl=0

  4. #4
    Starting to feel at home
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    86

    Default

    Also, I know it's a little off topic for this board, but I never fully transcribed the passport. Wonder if anyone could read the part after "British Empire" in the first section, and the last section on the other side page under "Observations"?

    I could make a new thread on the transcription board, but if someone can read it here then it would probably be for the best!

  5. #5

    Default

    I've been chasing (1) "See Reg.6.7" and (2) the what 1921 Paris Conference on Passports and came up with.

    No luck with the regulation as yet.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

  6. #6

    Default

    Note - now switched to the 1926 Geneva conference. Unfortunately the report runs to 169 pages!
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

  7. #7
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    8,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toaster View Post
    Also, I know it's a little off topic for this board, but I never fully transcribed the passport. Wonder if anyone could read the part after "British Empire" in the first section, and the last section on the other side page under "Observations"?

    I could make a new thread on the transcription board, but if someone can read it here then it would probably be for the best!
    No, no, and NO. Keep everything in this thread.

    My take on the bit after British Empire is 'See reg 6.7' as in See regulation 6.7

    Can't really see the second page, but the last line says 'has been cancelled'.
    Is the first line 'Previously [something] Cairo'?

    Any chance you could copy and enlarge that section on the second page?

    Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

  8. #8
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    8,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Note - now switched to the 1926 Geneva conference. Unfortunately the report runs to 169 pages!
    That'll keep you out of mischief for a few hours!
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

  9. #9
    Starting to feel at home
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    No, no, and NO. Keep everything in this thread.

    My take on the bit after British Empire is 'See reg 6.7' as in See regulation 6.7

    Can't really see the second page, but the last line says 'has been cancelled'.
    Is the first line 'Previously [something] Cairo'?

    Any chance you could copy and enlarge that section on the second page?

    Pam
    Thanks again!

    I think I got it now! Think it says "Previously held Cairo Ppt... which has been cancelled".

    Here's the zoomed in view though: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d4sqpo71qj...0zoom.jpg?dl=0

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Select a file: