Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Death cert from USA

Hi Everyone....Has anyone used Vitalcheck.com to order a death cert from the USA? Is that the only place you can order one from? Thanks

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

A little more information would be helpful, e.g. for which state and year of death.
    I would have thought that each state would possibly have a central go-to authority for ordering BMD certificates (just as in Australia )

I've never heard of the company and a check on the URL timed out. Unsurprisingly because the company name is actually vitalchek, without the second 'c' as I found out when doing a google search. That search also found Trustpilot reviews, over half of which had awarded only one star. Read 'em, and judge accordingly.

The company have been in existence for thirty years, and seem fairly up-front about their charges although
    "plus a minimal VitalChek processing fee ranging from $2 – $16" is wonderfully vague. In my opinion the processing fee should be the same for any transaction, as it presumably takes the same time of time and effort to order a birth certificate from California as a death certificate from Delaware.

You must be able to order direct from the certificate-issuing office, but Vitalchek obviously save you the hassle of finding out where that office is located. That said, in these internet days, that shouldn't be too hard a task compared to back in 1987 when the company began.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Brick wall demolition expert!

Pam is correct to say that each State has their own registry and rules.

Cindi's list will point you in the right direction. Below is a link for Indiana
    https://www.cyndislist.com/us/in/bmd/

If you have access to USA collections on Ancestry I know that they have some death certificates for some states such as Indiana or Pennsylvania etc.

I've been chasing American death records these past few days. I noticed that changes were being implemented from 1 Jan 2021 under vital records law when ordering certificates. Also, Vitalchek were listed as "contracted vendor" with some authorities eg.
    https://www.doh.wa.gov/LicencesPermi...italRecordsFAQ

Note - the URL is correct but doesn't deliver the desired page?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

I'm after a cert from Multnomah, Portland, Oregon. Date of death is 14 Nov. 1950 for Joseph H. Marshall.
    Even the Oregon Health Authority links to Vitalchek to order a certificate. Thanks
    Last edited by pat fowles; 31-12-2020 at 3:49 AM. Reason: Forgot something

Famous for offering help & advice

I needed a death certificate from Multnomah, Portland, Oregon and a lovely lady on the Ancestry boards obtained it for me for free from the Oregon State Archives, although I'm not sure whether it being from 40 years earlier made a difference.

I shortened the URL to https://www.doh.wa.gov/
    Then if you hover over 'Licences, permits and certificates' in the banner at the top of the page you can click on 'birth death marriage and divorce'.

Off-topic, but it does annoy me when you click on a link and you get 'not found, did you type in the correct URL?' I clicked on a link in your own website, you numpties. GGGGGRRRRRRRR!!

Pam

Firstly, thanks to Megan for giving general advice on where to look for addresses for the various states registeries.
    Nowadays I so often forget about Cyndislist and I really shouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by pat fowles View Post
    I'm after a cert from Multnomah, Portland, Oregon. Date of death is 14 Nov. 1950 for Joseph H. Marshall.
    Even the Oregon Health Authority links to Vitalchek to order a certificate. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    I needed a death certificate from Multnomah, Portland, Oregon and a lovely lady on the Ancestry boards obtained it for me for free from the Oregon State Archives, although I'm not sure whether it being from 40 years earlier made a difference.
    How weird is that - that you both want(ed) certificates from the same town?

I would suspect the forty year gap would make a big difference because 1910 would no doubt be classed as 'historical' as it's over a hundred years ago. However, having said that, it would appear that death certificates have a fifty-year restriction which should mean you're OK for 1950.
    https://sos.oregon.gov/archives/Page...alrecords.aspx

The strange thing is that death records aren't listed under Multnomah but they must be there because Jomot managed to obtain one.
    https://sos.oregon.gov/archives/Page..._listings.aspx

I would therefore send a 'simple reference request' asking if the archives have a copy of the death certificate, and if not, who does.
    https://sos.oregon.gov/archives/Page..._services.aspx
    From how I interpreted the website, it seems a copy of the death certificate would cost you five dollars, which is considerably cheaper than Vitalchek.

Pam

Thank you for your replies everyone. I'll try your suggestions and let you know how it goes. I went on the Vitalchek site to order the cert but apart from the price being extortionate (over $50 US), it also asks for lots of personal info.
    Happy New Year to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by pat fowles View Post
    Thank you for your replies everyone. I'll try your suggestions and let you know how it goes. I went on the Vitalchek site to order the cert but apart from the price being extortionate (over $50 US), it also asks for lots of personal info.
    Happy New Year to everyone.
    Crikey, I'd need to be absolutely desperate to pay that much.

Pam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast