Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Valued member of Brit-Gen

Update...The Oregon State Archives do hold the Death cert record I wanted. The cost is only $10 US. However they do not accept payments unless you phone them with your credit card details, or post them a cheque. Neither option is really feasible from Australia as it makes the cost prohibitive.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

In the UK we have companies which offer cheap rate phone calls all over the world. For instance I can dial one 'general' UK number and I'm then told that calls cost '1p per minute'(this is UK to Canada), and then I dial the number in Canada. I still have the cost of the call to the 'general' number but even if it was 70p a minute it would still be much cheaper than the £3+plus a minute standard rate charged by some companies. Have you not got anything similar in Australia?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

FamilySearch seems to suggest ordering certificates from County level as opposed to State. Which in your case would I think be Multnomah County.

That has taken me to this page
    https://multco.us/vitals

Unfortunately that looks like a postal-only service

A fountain of knowledge

PAT I have seen your posting on WikiTree which I have skimmed through. I note you say that "His Parents Marriage 1873 August 25th @ The Parish Church, St Olave, Southwark. Ellen Williams age 25." and

"His Mother is believed to have died in childbirth although it's not known whether this was with Joseph's birth or a subsequent child".Ellen was therefore born c1848

Joseph's birth seems to be MARSHALL, JOSEPH HENRY WILLIAMS GRO Reference: 1873 D Quarter in SAINT SAVIOUR SURREY Volume 01D Page 28

"NB No death record has been found for Ellen Marshall to date."

I hesitate in suggesting the following death as your research skills far exceed mine, but do you think this might be her death on FreeBMD
    (I can't see it on the GRO Index) Marshall Ellen 31 St.Saviour Reg Q1 1875 1d127

There is info on Library and Archives Canada which says that " Prior to 1892, the Immigration Branch was under the jurisdiction of the Department of Agriculture." which may explain your finding that Joseph was a Farmer. And on the site it also says"Members of the British Isles Family History Society of Greater Ottawa (BIFHSGO) and other volunteers, and staff of the Genealogy section at Library and Archives Canada, contributed to the indexing of Home Children names for this database."

I appreciate you no doubt know all this but I try to help as and when I can in general! Jill
    (I was in Perth a few years ago and am currently in lock down dealing with my photos of a trip to Margaret River!)

A fountain of knowledge

PAT
    Without wishing to tread on your toes I emailed Multnomah County Library this morning mainly due to the time differences between countries! I have had a very prompt and helpful reply which I copy below.
    I have gone on the link given and have gone through as far as i can ie until one has to give personal info.I would have thought that after one gives personal info it would go to credit card details on a secure site?
    The person who replied is Erin Alison Information Services - Multnomah County Library https://multcolib.org/contact503.988.5123 on email
    [email protected]
    I have just replied to her and gave her your name as possibly you might wish to contact her.I don't think her reply in fact does help you as she suggests the site you have seemingly already gone to- but I did try!! Jill
    "I understand that you’re looking for a death certificate for Joseph Henry Marshall, who passed away 14 Nov. 1950 in Multnomah County. Is that correct? I’m happy to help!

Unfortunately, Multnomah County Library can confirm death dates by searching the Oregon Death Index, but we don’t have access to the actual death certificates. Here’s a blog post on our website about vital records and where to find them: https://multcolib.org/blog/20180110/...records-oregon

Towards the bottom of the blog post is the information about death records. Here’s the relevant information: "If you need to verify death information, Multnomah County Library has the Oregon Death Index (1903-2008). This index is also available through Ancestry Library Edition (accessible only in the library). If you need a copy of an immediate family member’s death certificate, contact the Oregon Center for Health Statistics."

A side note: while the blog post states that Ancestry is only available in the library, it is currently available remotely, but only if you have a Multnomah County Library card.

Since it seems you already know the date of death, the next step would be to contact the Oregon Center for Health Statistics. It sounds like that may be what your friend is already doing. I’m sorry it’s difficult from another country.

If there is anything else the library can help you with, please don’t hesitate to ask, and thank you for using the library".

Thank you,
    Erin Alison
    Information Services - Multnomah County Library
    https://multcolib.org/contact

Hi Gilian...Thanks for your interest. I have the cert you mentioned. It is not the Ellen Marshall in question.
    Hope you enjoyed your trip to Western Australia. We are currently melting in a heatwave but can't complain considering life here is relatively calm considering the Covid situation. Stay safe and well.

Thank you Pam...Unfortunately, being the dinosaur that I am I don't have cheap rates on my phone.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by pat fowles View Post
    Thank you Pam...Unfortunately, being the dinosaur that I am I don't have cheap rates on my phone.
    I obviously explained things badly.
    So do a search for 'cheap phones calls from australia to USA', and you will get at least one hit.
    I found a company called mytello and according to the website they give you the first call free.
    What happens is that you dial the 'central number' you need to call the US, then you will probably be told how much the call will cost (if I read it correctly 1.4 cents a minute, but do double-check!), and instructed to dial the number you require followed by the hash key. I'm basing the instructions on the ones I have when I dial Canada from the UK,
    so the Aussie ones may differ.

You might like to read the intructions here regarding the exit codes from Oz and the dialling-in code for
    the US.
    https://www.wikihow.com/Call-the-USA-from-Australia

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12