Famous for offering help & advice

Default a 1940 probate entry

I was wondering if anyone would like to look at the probate entry for Ysobel Althea Drake who died 27 September 1940 and perhaps suggest an explanation for the slightly odd list of name variations, please.

thanks.

edit - I don't really mean an explanation of the names but why they had to be listed

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

They are names she's been known by at various times in her life, and they've probably been used on various legal documents. Hence the need to list them all.

A bit like when someone married into hubby's family. She had one name at birth, but was given a comletely different one when she was adopted. So her marriage certificate said something along the lines of Freda Smith (her adopted name) a.k.a. Blossom Merriweather (birth name).

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

thanks, I guess I understand that, but there isn't that much difference between all the names. Frederick Henry Bloggs might be known to his chums as Fred Harry Bloggs, but would that really have to be spelt out in his will?

It just looks a bit over-the-top.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Have you got a copy of the will? If not, it was probably written out with all those names in it, with some solicitor covering all bases to stop anyone disputing the will.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

no I don't have the will. Its not really important to me, it just struck me as a bit odd or different, but I take on board all you're saying. I'm sure her descendants won't thank me for drawing the world's attention to it!

Its not as if she had multiple marriages, just the one. When I think of another female in my tree who had 4 marriages, so 5 different surnames and a couple of 'nicknames', but in comparison her probate entry looks very simple.

No matter. Thanks.

Reputation beyond repute

I don't see it as a matter of disputing the will.

The executor needs to get control of the deceased persons assets which might be scattered around various bank and investment accounts and which might be under slightly different names. To do this he needs the probate grant. He doesn't want an institution refusing to hand the money over on the grounds that the name isn't quite right. Therefore it's a wise precaution to list all the names that might have been used.