Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Indian Soccer League

Can anyone tell me which team won the 1927 William Younger Challenge Cup in 1927 and what team they played and what the score was

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

There's no mention of that cup in the two pages of Indian football I searched on Wikipedia (though I haven't checked all the links), so perhaps it was just a one-off competition.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_in_India
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...0%E2%80%931950

Have you tried searching the British Newspaper Archive (also available except for the latest updates on FMP)? In spite of its title, they do have copies of foreign newspapers, and I know they have the Bombay Gazette for some years in the 1800s.

Alternatively, try contacting the Indian Football Association, or whatever the collective in charge is called.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Valued member of Brit-Gen

It is mentioned in the Indian club Mohun Bagan Trophy List, they won it twice in the 1950s

Quote Originally Posted by gengrant View Post
    It is mentioned in the Indian club Mohun Bagan Trophy List, they won it twice in the 1950s
    In that case, try writing to them as they will (should) know a little more about the history of the Cup, and therefore should be able to direct you to someone/some organisation who will have even more information. They might even be able to tell you the answer themselves.

Pam

"dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

The East of Fife Record, 18 Nov 1904 carries a report of the inaugural competition. From this and The Civil & Military Gazette, 8 Oct 1904, it appears Lower Burma and Upper Burma played the best of three matches. Lower Burma winning the first two, no third match was necessary.

The East of Fife Recorder reported " ... an effort no doubt will be made in future years to popularise this competition by the competing teams being made more representative of the clubs and regiments in the province than has been found possible this year".

The sponsors appear to be William Younger Brewers, Edinburgh and I've been surprised at how many William Younger competitions I've unearthed - cricket, netball, sheep dog trials. Anything to sell beer.

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    The East of Fife Record, 18 Nov 1904 carries a report of the inaugural competition. From this and The Civil & Military Gazette, 8 Oct 1904, it appears Lower Burma and Upper Burma played the best of three matches. Lower Burma winning the first two, no third match was necessary.

The East of Fife Recorder reported " ... an effort no doubt will be made in future years to popularise this competition by the competing teams being made more representative of the clubs and regiments in the province than has been found possible this year".

The sponsors appear to be William Younger Brewers, Edinburgh and I've been surprised at how many William Younger competitions I've unearthed - cricket, netball, sheep dog trials. Anything to sell beer.
    I wonder if the brewery have any records of which teams might have won the trophy over the years.

Also might be worth checking out the UK papers in general (possibly Edinburgh/Fife in particular) papers for 1927 for a mention of the Cup. Unless a certain Welsh member of the BG forum has already been there, done that, and got the T-shirt.

Pam

I had hoped the Times of India on line might deliver - but I only have access up to 1900. Post 1900 it's available via Proquest - but I'm still working out if there's any way I can register to access records (WIP)- currently focusing on Crystal Palace/Tottenham on the wireless - at least it's football related!

I think I spotted somewhere along the line that Mohun Bagat won it in 1936, the earliest reference I can find apart from the inaugural game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast