Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Using the search key "kynoch" I only get 3 hits (one of which is the 1926 burial JHK) in the Hong Kong papers online.

In case of possible OCR "misreads" when the newspapers were digitalised, I began to check/browse the "hatch, match and despatch" column in the Hong Kong Telegraph (a weekly publication) edition by edition. Fortunately this column appears as the opening entry on page 1 of each edition - which greatly facilitates browsing. I began working backwards from May 1903 looking for birth JGK and marriage GWK.
    I was surprised I didn't find an entry for the birth of CWK in Scotland around Feb 1903. Got to 10 Jun 1899 - still no success - when the system was taken down for maintenance (24hrs). Will resume when system is back up.
    1 edition appeared to be missing (2/12/1899) - fingers crossed it wasn't critical!
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Valued member of Brit-Gen

dear helachau
    had another look at the list of burials in HOng Kong.
    besides James Henry, it reads Clyde William died 5 Jun 1903,
    and children of James and CAtherine: Reginald Lawrence died 13 Feb 1918 and Hector Anderso Kynoch died 3 Apr 1920. it also states ages. but with REginald it states 13yrs given his birth to be 1905. but his parents didnt marry till 1914 Hillhead, Glasgow Scotland. headstone states Reginald aged 13 yrs.
    also quotes Clyde William Kynoch born Glasgow 1903 died Hong Kong 1909.
    see wording on headstone: In / loving memory / of / our dear son / CLYDE WILLIAM KYNOCH / Born in Glasgow Scotland / February 13th 1903 / Died in Hong Kong / June 5th 1909 / aged 6 years and 4 months.He faltered by the wayside / The angel took him home.

wording on headstone for Reginald: In / loving memory / of / our dearly beloved son / REGINALD LAWRENCE KYNOCH / Born at Hong Kong February 13th 1905 / Died at Hong Kong February 13th 1918 / aged 13 years 1 month & 5 days.Yes, thou art fled and saints a welcome sing / Thine infant spirits soar on angel's wings/Our blind affection might have wished thy stay/God's wiser love has called his child away/.By his sorrowing father, mother and brother

and wording on headstone for Hector:Erected / by / JAMES & CATHERINE / KYNOCH / to the memory of their / beloved son / HECTOR ANDERSON / Who passed away / 3rd April 1920 aged 4 years.Asleep in Jesus

have double checked marriage of James Henry and Catherine Anderson.
    states marriage 15 Oct 1914 at Grand Hotel Hillhead Glasgow after Banns. So I gather the Banns of marriage were years before to cover the births of Clyde 1903 and Reginald 1905. will try and find Banns date.
    take care
    Doreenh

Default kynoch

Dear Helachau

will try and order death of Anne Ruth Kynock nee Cooper. 1950 Folkestone England.
    but with Englands lockdown, and the usual delay in certificates arriving in Aust. this could take months.
    regards
    Doreenh

had anotjher look atthe death of Annie Kynock in 1950 Folkestone.
    its not the Annie Kynock I am looking for. this one states in probate wife of James.
    so I will keep looking.
    Doreenh

Quote Originally Posted by DoreenH View Post
    have double checked marriage of James Henry and Catherine Anderson.
    states marriage 15 Oct 1914 at Grand Hotel Hillhead Glasgow after Banns. So I gather the Banns of marriage were years before to cover the births of Clyde 1903 and Reginald 1905. will try and find Banns date.
    take care
    Doreenh
    This is confusing. My post #2 and Grisel's post #11 clearly nail George William Kynnoch as the father of Clyde William Kynnoch.

I am puzzled by an entry under FMP's "Travel/migration". A Frances (29), James (2) and Claude (1) Kynnock sailed for Hong Kong in July 1903. Struggling to nail Frances on the 1901 Census and find a 1 yr old "Claude" born UK.
    As advised at post #19 you should be checking out the 1903 birth.
    Had pencilled in for today to continue check of Hong Kong newspapers.

Stay safe and "Blwyddyn Newydd Iach/a Healthy New Year"

Re. the birth of Clyde William Kynoch I had imagined that George's wife had left Hong Kong for a visit home with James and returned with James and Clyde in tow.

When I spotted "Claude Kynock" I wondered if Clyde had been misheard as Claude? The ages of the two children sailing for Hong Kong in 1903 tally with the births of James (1900?) and Clyde (1903). However, the "Frances" accompanying doesn't tie in with Ruth Ann Cooper.

I also checked for incoming UK passengers and found -
    Embarked - Hong Kong; destination - London; arrived - Sep 1902; Mrs G Kynock and Master Kynock (tick in column marked "Infant Male" rather than column marked "Child - 1-12 yrs of age".
    I also wondered if the "Mrs G Kynock" reflects the practice of referring to wives by the husband's given name?

All very tantalising.

Famous for offering help & advice

Despite the slight inaccuracies I think the Kynocks in the passenger lists are indeed George's wife and children. Well found Helechau. Mrs G Kynoch would have been the correct way
    to describe Annie Kynoch. Claude is easily Clyde. Annie could be heard as Frances maybe.

Doreen, as already mentioned, if you wish to find out where George and Annie were married you should download Clyde's birth certificate from Scotland's People. It should (with luck)have this information.
    You need to register and buy a few credits. Credits cost £0.25 each and can be bought in batches of 30 for £7.50 or 40 for £10. Clyde's birth certificate will cost 6 credits (£1.50)
    I can't think of any other way to find the marriage I'm afraid unless it turns up in some obscure website by chance!

Dear Helechau and grisel
    thankyou. I will have a look. Z have an account with scotlandspeopls so will go back and check.
    stay safe.
    Doreenh

Dear Helechau and Grisel
    just checked scotlands people.
    states: Clyde William Kynoch born 13 Feb 1903 Glasgow.
    parents: George William Kynock, Annie ruth Cooper.
    married: 20 Feb 1899 Bangoon,Burma.
    must be a twin, as I have son James Henry Kynoch born 13 Feb 1903 same address.
    regards
    Doreenh

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by DoreenH View Post
    Dear Helechau and Grisel
    just checked scotlands people.
    states: Clyde William Kynoch born 13 Feb 1903 Glasgow.
    parents: George William Kynock, Annie ruth Cooper.
    married: 20 Feb 1899 Bangoon,Burma.
    must be a twin, as I have son James Henry Kynoch born 13 Feb 1903 same address.
    regards

Doreenh
    Think you might be getting your knickers in a twist between James George (according to post #1 born in Hong Kong in 1900) and James Henry (the brother of George William) who died in Hong Kong in 1926 aged 44.
    Go back and check your work.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast