Loves to help with queries

Default Matthew BOOR born 1847 in Germany, Pilmerouth

I am searching for my great Grandfather Matthew Boor born 1847 in Germany. He first "appears" marrying my great Grandmother Mary Ann Alice Parkinson in 1873 in Darlington. I have no trace of Matthew prior to 1873. He doesn't appear in the British census in 1871. In 1881 & 1891 it shows he was born in Germany, we are trying to find where? On the marriage certificate it shows his father was Peter Boor a farmer.

On a recent DNA test I have found a distant match with someone also with Boor as an ancestor. This was Johan Michael Boor born 1716 in Pilmerouth, Bernkastel-Wittlich, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany. He and his son, Johan Nicholas Boor born 1745 emigrated to the USA where their family is now established. If I have a Boor match with this person could Matthew & Peter also descend, all be it 100 years later from a Boor group from Pilmerouth? Can anyone give me guidance on how I research for Boor's in Pilmerouth for, initially, the 1800 -1850 period?

Incidentally, the Parkinson family appear in the 1871 census living in Dalston London where there was a German Hospital. We wonder if this is where Matthew & Mary Ann Alice met.

I appreciate any help or guidance to help this research, Matthew Boor's birthplace is our brick wall.

Thank you.
    Colin Parkinson

Super Moderator

Default Boor Tree

Have you seen the tree on Ancestry owned by SueD?

Thank you suemallings. Yes SueD8484 is my second cousin, our grandfathers were brothers, the children of Matthew & Mary Ann Alice. We have shared our research over many years. One of her Aunts thought Matthew was a Frenchman and Alsace-Loraine was suggested. But this research led us nowhere. Now trying this new avenue of our Boor descendants are from Pilmeroth, Bernkastel-Wittlich, Germany which may be a DNA match of mine.
    Thank you for your interest.
    Colin

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I am officially a genius. IMO.

https://www.agfhs.org/

I haven't done so, but you need to check out the whole website, including the section labelled 'research'.
    They may also be able to tell you of any variants to the Boor surname.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thank you Pam.

I appreciate you need to be a member of the Anglo-German FHS to have access to their resources, including members lists. My second cousin, SueD8484, and I have both been members of the AGFHS on separate occasions in the past without success.

Now that we have a DNA match for BOOR with a specific birthplace, Pilmeroth, Bernkastel-Wittlich, I had hoped someone could point us in the direction of public records for researching that area for the 1800-1850 period?

We continue to live in hope.
    Thank you.
    Colin

A fountain of knowledge

COLIN

Using google maps I see that Pilmeroth is a very remote place. The nearest large towns seem to be Trier and Koblenz. I then found that Trier Archives are in the Scientific Library so perhaps you could start there. https://www.stadtbibliothek-weberbach...artseite/There is an online contact form or else on the left click on contact person.However it seems it may well be shut or restricted service thanks to COVID-19 OR CORONA as I know they call it in Germany!Also when I googled Johann Michael Boor there is some info on Family Search and other sites but no doubt you have that.Also I found a site
    German archives: a guide to discovering and using them: Municipal and local archiveshttps://libguides.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/c.php?g=423238&p=2890906 at the Bodleian.
    Hope this helps. Jill

Thank you Jill for these numerous leads. We will certainly search them out.
    Thanks again.
    Colin

A fountain of knowledge

COLIN

Thanks - good luck and keep us informed.
    Jill

Update.

I tried the stadtbibliothek link but it replied "your connection is not private" and implied was unsafe. The Bodlein link - I selected Rheinland-Pflatz but this was all in German.

I will persevere.
    Colin