Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    Victoria incoming unassisted passenger lists has an Arthur E Thomas arriving on the Oruba in 1905 who could be worth checking.
    He was age 34 so probably not our man. A 29 yr old Ethel M French arrived in 1909 on the Runic, tho probably another coincidence.

Growing old Disgracefully

Quote Originally Posted by Soozi-B View Post
    Hello Sandyhall, thank you for your reply.Walter Edward was born to Jenny Rossall on 7 Mar 1907. He was later "adopted " by a family called Barton,& used this name until he married Elizabeth Garnett in Feb 1926.He then said he wished to use his birth name from his mother,i.e. Rossall, & became Walter Edward Barton-Rossall. That is still the family name.
    Many thanks
    Yes I found your tree on anst...
    I think the 1911 Jennie Maude Rossall is your lady. as there is no birth for a Jennie Maude

Ancestry have a private tree ,the Thomas family tree, which includes the Arthur Ernest b 1913 and siblings. The owner may - or may not - have information about the father Arthur Ernest senior.

There is a seaman named A Thomas born c1882 Birkenhead working aboard the ship Wyreema in 1910/1911 between Melbourne & Sydney by the looks of it, as a Greaser.

He's also aboard the Telamon in 1907 & 1908, departure port Glasgow Via Melbourne, to Sydney, and on one of the records for the Telamon, he's named as Arthur.

He's variously a Fireman, Trimmer & Greaser, although on the one where he's Arthur I can't quite make out the occupation.

Less certain are records aboard the S S Mararoa in 1903 which just says born England

Found another record for the Telamon - the occupation I couldn't make out was Donkeyman.

Fireman, Trimmer, Greaser, Donkeyman - they are all to do with the engine room.

Didn't his marriage to Jenny say he was a marine engineer, which would be true, but maybe sounds a bit more grand?

If the above records are correct and Arthur Ernest Thomas already had a wife in Australia when he married Jenny, then could she be the Jenny Rossall who married William Clowes in Manchester South in 1930? (Chorlton-on-Medlock Register Office or Registrar Attended)

A Jenny Clowes, widow, aged 55 (born c1884) was buried at Anfield Cemetery on 31 Aug 1939, address 148 Ince Avenue. Section 21, Plot 704, purchased grave.

Settling in

Many thanks to everyone who has answered my brick wall question. All are very helpful & given me new lines to follow. Jomot1, you seem to have come up trumps again with the marriage certificate observation about Arthur's occupation,& the 1930 marriage. I have sent for a copy of the marriage certificate,so fingers crossed. I shall post details when I receive the certificate.
    Many thanks again

Settling in

Many thanks again for help with finding Jenny Rossall. Jomot1 was right about the 1930 marriage - it was Jenny;I received the marriage certificate today which confirmed her identity.It is good to find out at last what had happened to her,& where she is buried. So grateful for all your help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12