Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Parish Records for Woburn, Bedfordshire

I've got a FamilySearch record for the 11.6.1824 baptism of William Wright in Woburn, Bedfordshire. William is noted as born 2.1.1789. Father is noted as Ebenezer Wright and mother was Mary. No other information available.

Census searches and death index (1854) suggest William was born 1789 in Woburn but baptism seems a long time later. Any ideas where/if I might get more information on line or why baptism would have been so late?

Thank you.

A fountain of knowledge

When did he marry? I have seen a baptism recorded a few weeks before a marriage.
    Were any of his children also baptised around that time?

Sorry for the delay in replying to you.

All I have, so far, on William is his birth and 1841 and 1851 census. I have an 1854 death and burial and a Will. I haven't ordered the death certificate yet and believe his wife, Martha, died the same year within months. The only child I have identified for them was William Bell Wright born 1811 in London.

Growing old Disgracefully

Is your William a School master on the 1851 census

As mentioned at post #3 late baptism can happen preparatory to marriage. Cannot see a marriage close to the 11 Jun 1824 baptism but there is a much later marriage of a William Wright and Martha Baddington, Woburn, 27 Oct 1831.
    Chasing William Wright, YoB 1789 (age 62), schoolmaster, on the 1851 census points to 2 possible baptisms
    a. the 11 June 1824 late baptism that you are querying and
    b. William Wright, 13 Aug 1787, Woburn, parents Richard and Sarah (FMP transcript only)

FMP has a burial for a William Wright, Woburn, 1 Sep 1787 (transcript only). No age at death is given. Sight of the original might provide additional info. Burials of infants/children often refer to "son/dau of ....." which may not be transcribed.

Have you ruled the 1787 baptism out?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

You asked about Parish records. According to GENUKI, the Woburn Parish registers have all survived and have been transcribed. They give a contact URL HERE.

Of course, the Records service may not be fully active at the moment.

Yes, my William Wright was a schoolmaster in 1841 and 1851 census.

I have been suspicious of the 1831 marriage of William Wright to Martha Baddington in Woburn. I haven't seen the 1787 baptism so haven't ruled it out …… or in.

I'll see what the GENUKI link reveals.

William Wright's son was William Bell Wright and I was wondering whether the Bell as a middle name may be a nod to a mother's or grandmother's maiden name but no proof yet.

Thank you!

Thanks for confirming that WW, schoolmaster is your man. I'd been considering the angle that the 1824 baptism in Woburn didn't necessarily point to the birth being there also (1789). Hence the interest in the 1787 baptism. Yet to check out other possible baptisms, parents Ebenezer/Mary, irrespective of location.

I checked the 1787 burial on Ancestry. There is burial William Wright, 1 Sep 1787 but place is Souldrop, Bedford (text only- no image).

I'm pretty confident in the 1854 death of William Wright as the Will of that date says he is a schoolmaster and mentions his wife.

Finding a mother's maiden name of Bell would be a clincher but that is probably too much to hope for! I've no 'proof' Ebenezer and Mary were parents so don't know if it is the right baptism.

An Ebenezer Wright married a Mary Clare, Woburn, 1 Feb 1785 - a strong pointer to the 1824 Woburn baptism relating to an 1789 Woburn birth?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast