Settling in

Default Bishops Transcripts - which church?

Hi. This may be a really stupid question and I may be missing something obvious but I cannot for the life of me see it. I have found the BT on Find my Past of my ancestors marriage in The parish of Cheadle, Cheshire in 1828. How do I find out which church it was? I've looked on Family Search and Genuki but there are loads of churches listed. Oddly enough I can't find the entry at all on Family Search.
    TIA for any advice on where to find it.

Super Moderator

Default Bishop's Transcripts

What are the names of the bride and groom?

Loves to help with queries

Quote Originally Posted by JillCuth View Post
    Hi. This may be a really stupid question and I may be missing something obvious but I cannot for the life of me see it. I have found the BT on Find my Past of my ancestors marriage in The parish of Cheadle, Cheshire in 1828. How do I find out which church it was? I've looked on Family Search and Genuki but there are loads of churches listed. Oddly enough I can't find the entry at all on Family Search.
    Hopefully my local knowledge may help. Having looked at Genuki I can see your dilemma however very few of those churches are actually in Cheadle. Cheadle Heath is a different place as is Gatley and Edgeley. Using the date 1828 I reckon the one to go with is St Mary's on the High St. Hope it helps.

Checking FMP for Cheadle marriages 1828 it returns 33 pages. A random check throws up "T (?) Leigh" or "Traff'd (?) Leigh" as minister officiating. A check of the newspapers shows an Edward Trafford Leigh of Cheadle Rectory getting married himself Dec 1828.

Who's the officiating minister on your unnamed couples' register entry.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

https://maps.nls.uk/view/101598310

St Mary's Church - Rectory (now long demolished) to the south.

Settling in

Thank you everyone, due to personal circumstances, I haven't been able to get online to check for replies to my question before now. In answer @suemalings question, the bride was Ellen Reynolds and the groom Charles Giblings (actually Giblin). @helachau, the curate was indeed what looks like Traffd Leigh.
    Again, thank you all so much for your help. For all I have been researching on and off for about 26 years, I still struggle with these extra clues you lot just know to look for. @loobylou, thank you for the local knowledge, looks like St Mary's it is then.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I won't say this way is infallible, but I would think it's correct most of the time.
    When you have a parish register which says at the top of the page 'baptisms/marriages/burials in the parish of . . . . in the county of . . . .' it usually refers to the original parish church which was built any time 1000AD onwards.
    Go to Genuki, https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng
    and click on the name of the county listed below the map of England.

In the middle of the page there's a link to towns and parishes in that county. Click, then select town from the alpha list. In this case you want Cheadle. If the register was for one of the other Cheadles it would actually say Cheadle Edgley, etc, at the top of the page.

Scroll down the page/click on link to churches.
    As loobylou says, there's quite a lot of churches listed but (a) you know it's Church of England so that immediately reduces the number and (b) you want one that's in plain Cheadle.
    Click on the church names, and read when the church was founded/built. Though as you usually have a photo of the church you can get a good idea of how old the church is. Your church has to be St Marys. To convince yourself, and not just take my word for it , check out all the churches in the Anglican list and see how many existed in 1828.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Super Moderator

Default Bishops Transcripts

Quote Originally Posted by JillCuth View Post

Ancestry has the spouse name as Charles Gibbings

Thanks for confirming "Officiating Minister" as "Traff'd Leigh".
    Like Ancestry, FMP has transcribed as "Gibbings" - but it's understandable looking at the original.