Loves to help with queries

Default Shooting accident at Granville Hotel

I am trying to find out the circumstances concerning an incident at the Granville Hotel at St. Margarets at Cliffe on 4 July 1942 where a young soldier was shot in the head. I would be grateful if someone could point me in the direction of either obtaining a newspaper report or even better details of the coroners inquest. I have had an attempt which have proved unsuccessful.

Thanks in advance
    Mike

Super Moderator

Default Granville Hotel

Did a search on Google for "Shooting, Granville Hotel, St. Margarets 1942"
    No sure what you might find here:-

Still image Archives - Page 79 of 149 - St Margaret's Village ...www.stmargaretshistory.org.uk › format › page
    Typed letter on Granville Hotel letterhead to F.J Parsons (Kent Newspapers Ltd) ... shooting' by the 4th Somerset Light Infantry, garrisoned locally in 1942 as .

A great uncle of mine was shot on the Isle of Man in 1916. He was in the army at an alien camp. I did manage to get all the newspaper reports on what happened but have not been able to find any more info on the person who fired the shot or why it happened,

Thanks Sue
    That sounds like my man. It was an accidental shooting according to the death certificate.
    I shall look into it.
    Thanks again
    Mike

Famous for offering help & advice

There’s an article in Dover Express. I can’t access the full article as I don’t have credits.British Newspaper Archives allows 3 free views which I used on other articles.

... ‘SHOT BY TOMMY-GUN. An inquest was held at the Town Hall, on Wednesday, on the body of Corpl. Charles Bell (36), stationed at Dover, and whose home is at Linden Road, Gloucester. Corpl. Bell was killed shots from a Tommy gun at his barracks on Sunday ...‘

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamelawagster View Post
    There’s an article in Dover Express. I can’t access the full article as I don’t have credits.British Newspaper Archives allows 3 free views which I used on other articles.

... ‘SHOT BY TOMMY-GUN. An inquest was held at the Town Hall, on Wednesday, on the body of Corpl. Charles Bell (36), stationed at Dover, and whose home is at Linden Road, Gloucester. Corpl. Bell was killed shots from a Tommy gun at his barracks on Sunday ...‘
    Good find, Pamela, but the dates don't match.
    The newspaper was dated Friday 3 April 1942 and it said the incident occurred on 'Sunday evening', which i think would mean 28 March.

However, my previous searches have lead me to believe that if there is a newspaper report it would appear in the Dover Express which is available on both the British Newspaper Archive site as well as Findmypast for 1942. If the death was registered in Dover registration district, then, yes, one hundred percent, Dover Express for a newspaper report. If there is one. Some things could have remained confidential and therefore were not allowed to be published.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

There are 2 articles regarding ‘soldier shooting’ in July 1942.
    10th July & 17th July both in the Dover Express.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamelawagster View Post
    There are 2 articles regarding ‘soldier shooting’ in July 1942.
    10th July & 17th July both in the Dover Express.
    I really need to sharpen up my searching skills regarding newspaper reports.

Mike - the entry you need is the one for 10 July. Unless they've recently changed the rules, the BNA allowed you to have three free downloads, so if you've never used them before you're in luck.

ADDED: Meant to post this link the other day, though probably your query will be answered by the newspaper report.
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...ners-inquests/

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Sorry for the delay in replying but thank you both. I have read the newspaper report and it appears to be a really unfortunate accident. He was shot through the head due a round going off in the room above and going through the ceiling whilst a rifle was being cleaned. Unfortunately the person cleaning the rifle did not realise that there was still a round in the weapon.
    Thanks again
    Mike